Carvera Air

Sharing this as could see it being of some interest to some of our members. Has this caught anyone else’s eye?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/makera-inc/carvera-air?ref=ctx1y3&utm_medium=paid&utm_source=fb&utm_id=120206349724800329&utm_content=120206349725100329&utm_term=120206349724870329&utm_campaign=120206349724800329&fbclid=IwAR1oM6lvem745WYOIyHWdfwh6EgEwfTkquPwg1DOOjWhGsDk94bWoj-jq4I_aem_AfgWFkRa6l9xK_keHAG33zcT82suNpWyVUG7HAWKGSrkKZlZK48xaTXB2YhKZnaiF8OcXwV4HWM6ON-pg5rTyXTe

I’ve been putting together the BOM for a DIY vertical milling machine for awhile now, probably something like Millenium Machine’s Milo project or the upcoming Voron Cascade. The cost to DIY one of these machines would be comparable to the Carvera Air, and would probably be all around a more rigid and capable machine. That said, the ease of use factor here is significant, as is the inclusion of the fourth axis functionality which is a significant cost and complexity savings, particularly on the software side.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

Hi Tripp, Thanks for sharing this. I checked the carvera with interest, too. It has some nice features and seems to sport a good UX.

I believe though it has not much upside over the mini cnc we’ve already got and the new Sieg milling machine will also cover the use case of the DIY machine you shared if not even excels it.

Happy to hear other opinions from the @CNCtechs and wider community.

Looks cool and insane uptake on it:

I have never backed one of these personally as there is a risk it is delayed or never shows up, so I usually go for something that is actually available now. Something to keep an eye on though!

The shaper origin started on a kickstarter

The original Carvera was also kickstarted and they’ve continued to sell it since. It’s is unfortunately not risk free but a fairly safe bet by my reckoning. This machine makes some cost saving measures over the flagship, hence the lower price but in some ways the quick change tooling set up they have now is more convenient than the automatic tool changing of the original Carvera.

In terms of a CNC for the space, rather than as something for a home user, for the cost of this IMO it would be better for us to have a rotary table that could be used on the big CNC and which could perhaps also be used on the Sieg. I’d also invest in more bits and endmills and making a dragknife and 3D touch probe as well (as well as new clamps). We could also potentially have auto touch off on all machines, which would be really nice. ATC might be a stretch though, but if have auto touch off, not having that isn’t such a big deal. Having another laser cutter would be good, but we would probably be better off with a 40W xTools S1 or even M1 (with blade cutter) or similar.

The 5W laser on this is an extra, and not great. The rotary table is also an extra, and could get something better, with larger radius etc. For the space, there are better options as I see it. This is something for a home user perhaps - which may be what the original post was about.

Rotary for big cnc in the near future list, auto touch off, at some point too, and the drag knife… I think we should build it in aluminium rather than buy it, same goes for the glass scourer for the big cnc

1 Like