Caribou 3d Printers going cheap

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4959d3410>

Thanks to @Gawain for the tip - I bought a Caribou from Phil a few weeks ago, and I’ve well and truly gone down the 3d-printer rabbit hole. I even have proof: behold this DIY filament dry box (using a ~20-liter sealed box)

Also thanks to @emuboy for the tip on the CHT nozzle. It prints noticeably faster*

The only issue I’ve noticed is that some of the bolts have visible rust. At some point I plan on trying to sand off the rust, or worst case, replace them.

Other than that, I am loving it!

3 Likes

* Forgot to mention the CHT nozzle seems to behave differently, as it’s more prone to making gobs of filament. I also find brims are mandatory, otherwise the prints end up becoming detached. Probably just a sign I’ve more to learn as I tune the printer for different nozzles/materials.

2 Likes

That’s really useful as I am having the same problem! Thanks for sharing that.

1 Like

Nice rig!

1 Like

@kirberich gave me some advise and based on that I’ve updated the firmware on mine and then recalibrated following page 25 onwards in the manual and it seems to be adhering a lot better. I found I had to adjust the Z offset a little. He also said that cleaning the plate with isopropyl alchohol as well is important. No need for a brim on my printer consequently.

1 Like

Glad to hear you improved it! Yeah, I’ll give all that a try. I figured I should look into the z height calibration at least, but the firmware upgrade is probably useful too. I’ve also installed the bed leveling plugin for octoprint, and will try to adjust my bed level a bit better while I’m at it. Maintenance time!

Well, apparently the Caribou 3d company is insolvent. People are complaining on Twitter they cannot get their money back on refunded orders.
I found out because they were selling SuperPinda for cheap, but would take only bank transfer as payment. If you check their social media, you’ll see they are insolvent.
Beware if you buy anything from them…

printer still works :smiley: and it’s a prusa so everything you can do to a mk3 u can do do these.

Thx for the heads up. i had really good interactions with the company sorry to see it go tbh.

Yeah mines great and printing beautifully. Appreciate the heads up too. Yeah it is a Prusa clone so I think between us we’ll be able to manage it still. Perhaps the only thing being firmware, but I have a copy of that anyway.

I have a prusa account, if you need parts that are blocked behind a prusa ID let me know

thanks @emuboy !

1 Like

I bought one of these, a Caribou MK3S 320.
I’ve just updated the firmware on it to the latest, 3.13.0.

After doing so I noticed this message in the firmware release notes:

IMPORTANT: MK3s users will have to turn the direction of the y motor cable! for firmware 3.12.1 and later!

I really know what this means or how to do it. I haven’t made any modifications to the printer so far so I could do with some clear instructions for this. Can anyone help? (cc @3dtechs)

Hey James,

Sorry, I don’t know.

Was there a reason to update the firmware? Perhaps roll back to one that was working well before?

I’ve reverted it now, fortunately that was painless. I tried a quick print with the latest firmware and it produced the mirror image of the input file so it certainly does need some adjustments making.

I was upgrading it to see if it improved the “MIN BED TEMP FIXED” errors that I was seeing. I think I’ve now tracked that down to a broken thermistor wire so I’m going to look at replacing that.

1 Like

Sounds like you should just swap the connectors of the Y-axis stepper motor where they are joined to the microcontroller board. That should make the motor run in the opposite direction. But I haven’t used one of these particular printers, so the usual disclaimers apply.

1 Like

Since firmware 3.12.1, the y-motor cable must be rotated on Caribou printers (not on the Prusa version), an adapter cable must be used or a mirrored y-BeltHolder must be used.

Tells us about it here: https://caribou3d.com/en/content/10-caribou-mk2-mk25s-mk3s-software

I’m on Firmware 3.11 which has been very reliable for me so I’m going to stay put I think