Card scraper kept in sharpening drawer

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa495c61970>

Greetings,
I have a card scraper which is too hard to be sharpened in the normal, refined manner. It can however, be sharpened on the belt sander.
I am leaving it in the sharpening drawer.
Please return it to the same place so it can be found when needed. It is an extremely useful tool but, it is completely useless if it can’t be found.
I would suggest putting a slight but fair curve on one edge, perhaps leave one edge straight.
It is very quick and easy to fair a nice curve on the belt sander.
That is all.
Carry on and above all, remain calm.

4 Likes

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what counts as the “refined manner”, what prevent that one from being sharpened that way and how does one sharpen card scrapers with a belt sander.

I have a Crucible card scraper at home that I sharpen with an Arno burnisher, but it seems like a very hit and miss experience. Half the time I get something completely useless, the other half I get beautiful curls. I also have a couple of Narex card scrapers I would be happy to donate if we have suitable equipment in the space to sharpen it.

I shouldn’t be a part of this really, but people make it unnecessarily complicated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPCMFTXOxU

1 Like

Filing, polishing on a stone and turning a burr with a piece of hardened steel is the normal method.
The reason this card scraper is unsuitable for sharpening in the normal way is due to its extreme hardness.
It is too hard and produces a rubbish edge every time if sharpened as I describe above.
The hardness is not an issue if it is sharpened on the belt sander.
My other scrapers are correctly hardened and I sharpen in the normal way.
Sharpening on the belt sander. Pull it up the belt. It’s not my technique, ask Joe.

UPDATE
Apparently you are supposed to pull the card scraper up the linisher and roll the burr over.
You should ask joe for a demonstration.