Can anyone help me with my CNC Tray Project?

Hi @BigCNCers @CNCtechs,

I’m looking for some help using the big CNC.

I’m making a catch all/wireless charger tray from hardwood and @Christian was kind enough to help me set up my project on VCarve for the big CNC. We ran out of time to run the job, but it’s effectively ready to go, so I’m wondering if anyone is able to help me do things properly without breaking anything or anyone!

I’ve had an induction on the mini, but this will be my first time using the big one.

It’ll hopefully look something like this:

Biscuits offered in return.

Cheers!
Greg

1 Like

We’ve made already the gcode and noted the tools needed. Machining time predicted is 35 min @ 3 tool changes.

Unfortunately I’m off on hols otherwise would’ve been happy to do this interesting carving and cutting job with Greg. Thanks in advance to the volunteer!

When are you usually in?

I’ll probably be in most of tomorrow from the morning and can supervise

Generally I’m pretty flexible on evenings after 7pm and weekends. Unfortunately I can’t do tomorrow or Saturday but if you’ve any availability Sunday onwards I’ll see if I can work around you? How are you fixed next week?

Hey folks, I’ve made some changes to the design of the tray. I have a solid model made in Rhino and I’m using Fusion to generate tool paths.

I have some sense of what I’m doing, but it would be great if an experienced Fusion user could give me some pointers! Is anyone around in the coming weeks to help me set the project up properly for the big CNC?

Biscuits of choice offered in return :slight_smile:

3D carving using an STL is easy in vCarve. I haven’t used Fusion for that - I’m sure you’ll find someone who can help you with that. If so, it would be great if you would document the workflow and set up so others also doing that for the first time have a guide to follow. (Also links to any videos or webpages that you found useful).

If doing a tray, will you be needing to CNC both sides? (that can be pretty easily done in vCarve, and I expect in Fusion also - but I don’t know any guides for doing that).

Will do re documenting the process! I wasn’t planning to machine both sides, but I could machine little pockets for some cork feet…

I would have done this in VCarve but fusion is a little easier to access as I’m a Mac user.