BUMP BUMP- Clearing out the Snug - January

Would be useful for myself, @tomnewsom, @peter_hellyer or @Dermot to be there as we will be able to identify what some of the older stuff is so it doesn’t go to waste. There are probably others who could do that I can’t think right now.

Cool. I’ll be there from about 9am 13th if anyone else fancies starting early?

Would be good if we can work out exactly what we’re doing though?

We dragging stuff into the messy and then deciding on it’s fate? How long will items that look remotely useable be kept on display prior to being dumped? Where are we dumping stuff?

1 Like

I’ve moved my bike out. Sorry it was there for longer than I thought. My back pain lasted longer than I imagined. Thanks for your patience =0)

3 Likes

I would suggest we need to understand the remit of what we are doing…

When I walk in there and see pieces of wood without proper storage permits I think that should be thrown out because there is no way to know who it belongs to and the rules are clear, however I see a box full of fire alarm parts and see that this is part of what we need for the future.

My point is what are we actually throwing away, most that stuff belongs to the space, and has a tech responsible for it, mainly @#systems, @#woodtechs, @#lasertechs and @#forepeople

1 Like

Completely agree. I think we need to have a brainstorm and finalise the remit for the clearout. That way if anyone pops up afterwards and is unhappy about how it was handled, they can do so in the knowledge that there was ample time and an appropriate forum to raise any concerns prior.

1 Like

I think the remit is to get it cleared out and get rid of anything that really has no value for the Makerspace either now or in the near future.

Tech teams can make the case for gear to stay, but I think it needs to be a strong case to earn storage space.

There’s an awful lot of stuff we can live without, and probably a typical amount of stuff we don’t even know we have.

We’ll need to have a system so we know generally what’s in the snug in the future.

QR coding for Makerspace equipment has been roundly dismissed in the past. I was never quite sure why, as it has some power. Anyway: I have a label printer that does them if needed.

I’m all for giving members a fair chance to claim their property. So we probably need an online gallery of anything we can’t identify.

Once it’s cleared out we can move forward with a limited amount of better managed project storage, and look to proper utilisation of the Snug, and an end to random bits of storage in the other workshops.

This sounds good, or something similar, I previously looked into asset tags which would be a bit more durable than paper labels.

1 Like

Most people don’t have qr apps on their phone.

All iPhones come with it now.

Maybe we should be looking to build some better storage into the snug after the clear out, i.e. a rack for sheet materials, and some more shelving?

2 Likes

I thought the idea of this clear-out was to make Phase 3 construction a more realistic proposition? If that’s still the case, we should probably be aiming to store less, not more in there…

5 Likes

Yes, but rationalising a limited amount of storage makes sense? Half the issue is that’s it’s now more of a heap than a store.

Shelving-as-fence

1 Like

can i admit a sin. ive got some aluminium sheet and rod in the snug. i ment to remove it before i left yhe uk, but that did not work out. i will be back before the end of the month. i would be greatful if it didnt get thrown away

2 Likes

People may want shiny new things, but what we need is storage for the existing things, all the existing facilities are crying out for storage, just ask the techs.

Ask the @#electrotechs they need a place to store the less frequently used parts, thats why it’s such a mess, because the 3D printing area took away from what electronics was meant to have, and there is no storage space for electronics any more.

Ask the @#woodtechs they needs space for projects and materials to be store, thats why a large piles of wood exist in the messy room and snug right now, they just don’t have enough space.

Thats just the stuff I’ve observed tech’s talking about, the laser cutter solved their issue by invading the space allocated for the CNC with storage they needed.

Point is it would be nice to renovate the snug and have an oil drilling rig , but we need storage more, and the snug could be a productive use of space as storage and that money if there even is any could be put towards our move in 2.5 years.

Speaking of which, if you collar any of the directors and ask them about phase 3 they don’t seem to think we have the money to do it, (presumably without compromising the move in 2.5 years).

I think we should take this to the next members meeting, but either way a tidy up is still needed.

2 Likes

Yes, tidy needed in any event.

Seems like a waste of a large area to just use it as storage - but we can explore if our needs are really that great.

Budget for renovation of the snug would need to be weighed against value over next few years and future plans, but in essence it’s on the table for a good proposal.

If it’s storage versus facilities personally I’d lean towards facilities.

Not oil drilling, let’s keep it sustainable…

1 Like

‘Phase 3’ would not seem to make much sense if we are planning to move at the end of the current tenancy period.

1 Like

I think what we need rather than more storage or more space is a robust storage policy to avoid the abandoned projects which clutter.

This is one of the things lhs does well - if your item don’t have an in date storage request clearly marked on it and approved, any member can hack/use/dispose of it.

1 Like

Thats a gread observation, the policy that everything is free to scalp for parts or throw away if it’s unlabelled or expired is great, we should have that.

The major difference however is that we don’t have members storage and the spaces we do have are packed much more tightly than Hackspace so there are fewer nooks to actually store things in properly.

In Hackspace you could put in a storage request and say you are leaving something near a place and it wouldn’t be in the way nearly as much as it is when members do that, as their only options are places like behind the door, or under the table saw…

Green wheelie bye bye cool…so…taking that one step further…

Can the decision maker/s decide if we need those many PCs in in the snug?

And the canopy sign?

Chip in with other things you’ve spotted.

Maybe we start a wiki? Pic gallery

1 Like