Building a workshop - Planning permission

I’m planning to build a workshop in our garden. I know you can build one without planning permission under permitted development, but you’re limited to 2.5m height which probably only gets you 2.1ish internal. I’m 1.9m so this isn’t super roomy. The rear boundary of our garden is a 3m high wall, so my thinking is I should apply for planning permission to allow me to build up to the height of the wall, getting much better head height and allowing for a warm roof construction.

I’ve started working on a planning application. In the process you’re asked for drawings, materials lists etc. I don’t imagine the general design I have in my head changing loads, but I’m still wondering about things like having overhangs vs more of a box style building, or do I clad the sides in metal sheeting for no maintenance or clad in wood all around.

Does anybody have experience with planning and specifically how close you have to stick to what you submitted? If you wanted to change the cladding or overhangs for instance, can you just do it? or do you need to make an official ‘non-material amendment’ (faff and expense). Indecision is preventing me from just prepping and submitting!

I wonder if digging down is allowed to give yourself a bit more headroom or is the no planning permission based on a temporary structure as in sitting on the ground…

You could dig and build a small wall below ground level and then “sit” the shed on top of the wall… :smiley:

Yep you can dig down. There is no side access though and no way to bring a digger, so everything would have to be done by hand and taken through the house. You’d also need to think about water and stuff as I believe building below ground is a bit more involved.

It doesn’t seem like getting planning permission should be that difficult nor overly expensive so i think it’s the easier and cheaper option. The concern is just having to commit now with half baked plans. If I can’t get permission, digging down may well be plan B

1 Like

I believe you can build taller under permitted development if the building is more than 2 m from the boundary. Do you have a big enough garden for that?

Always stick to the plans. It is better to think longer about what you want, materials design etc as it can be a nightmare to change post application approval.
Never deviate from original plans once on the build, it only takes one neighbour to complain and you will have to put it back to the original plans.

Don’t be afraid of putting in an application for exactly what you want. If it is refused you will also get information of why it has been refused. You will only have to change these points to get it passed. It will cost you another 6 weeks in time, but you may be lucky!

I have experienced both scenarios on different projects. If you want to talk about it just give me a shout!

As long as the buildings height does not exceed permitted development you can dig down but there is the issue with the water table, the only route I would take with this is a membrane system ( like delta membrane ) with a submersible pump, a lot of expense and work, but if you do want to go this way I can advise on this also

No, it’s 5.8m wide at the end so the provisional plan would be to leave ~40cm all around so you can squeeze around and do essential maintenance but otherwise use the full width

Would love to chat through some of the design and your planning experience. Are you around the space at all this week?

Some thoughts - the Height restriction if measured from the highest point on the ground next to the building; and to the eaves - so if your ground slopes and you can make it work you can be 2.5m at that minimum point and then go upwards from there to a maximum of 4m with a Dual Pitch roof.

Planning Permission - Outbuildings - Planning Portal

Then there are rules about how close you can be to your boundary (ranges from 500mm to 2m) - same site

Our approach was to discuss with the neighbour’s - and we kept the eaves height closest to their fence below their fence height - and sloped upwards away from them - effectively that meant they could not see / have any restriction of any light into their garden / house from their ground floor/patio.

Ground Screws are terrific - a concrete base is a lot of work and expensive - I used QuickJack (https://shedbasekits.com/) which can screw in direct into the soil/ground or bolt onto concrete and have a screw thread for leveling.

I covered the ground beneath the floor with a layer of heavy duty galvanized mesh (to keep the foxes out) and weed prevention fabric. There there is an airgap between the ground/mesh/fabric and the base of the shed to stop it rotting.

If you are not going to buy a kit (I have a Timber Home Office which turned up as a kit) look out for SIP panels which are two pieces of OSB with insulation glued between the OSB. They work as a structural system. Ebay has lots of suppliers. They can be used for the floor, walls and ceiling.

Finally - don’t be too conservative - we bought a 4m by 7m shed and wished we had bought one bigger.

I hope that this helps, I have a large amount of surplus mesh if you are interested.

Julian

2 Likes

I’d second the recommendation to take a look at SIP panels if you’re looking at building an insulated workshop. I built a 5x3m home office using them (also on groundscrews as a base) and was really impressed by how quickly everything went together and the overall end result.

I’d also definitely recommend something low maintenance for cladding on the non/less visible sides - Hardieplank is another option to look at.

Getting the 3m via planning definitely sounds best route but fwiw I’m 6’5 and the 2.2m usable height in the office really isn’t anywhere near as restrictive as I initially expected it to be.

I’d talk to your neighbours. If they are ok with it, then getting permission is likely to be ok if the plan is safe, sensible and reasonable. If they will object, then you will probably be best off looking at something that will be exempt. What they say might then determine which course to take.