Build a drone project - looking for volunteers who want to build a drone

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa496f3cbd0> #<Tag:0x00007fa496f3ca90>

Hi all,

I’m working on making and programming my own drone. The main thought I’ve had recently is that it’d be nice to have a group that would meet every so often and build one. We could build one (body, motors etc) from scratch and use the code/microcontroller base I’ve got already, since that would make it a lot faster.

The programming language is C, programmed on an STM32F103C8 (a.k.a. a “Blue Pill”). I can help people set up toolchains etc so they can mess about with the boards as they’re dirt cheap (about £3 per board).

So far I’ve got:
1x transmitter, STM32 controller sampling potentiometers and switches, encoding the data and sending it over a USART packet radio with CRC’s and stuff for error detection.

1x receiver, STM32 controller “heart”, receiving the radio packets and decoding/error checking, sampling a 9 axis gyro/accelerometer, and outputting a I2C signal to a PWM generation board. The PWM board outputs a signal to an ESC, which then spins the motors proportionally.

It does technically fly at the moment, but not well and will crash very quickly.

What needs to be done:
-Make a new body from scratch, maybe using the laser cutter and plywood or something.
-New ESC’s. The ones I currently have are crap and have bad resolution. I have another STM32 board as an ESC and have succeeded in getting it to work when connected to a PC, but when I try with a PWM signal it doesn’t listen.
-Addition of a GPS module.
-New PCB for receiver and transmitter. The transmitter PCB is too big, and the receiver needs one, as currently it’s just soldered.
-Control algorithm programming.

If anyone is interested in helping out I think it could be a fun project for a group!

If you’re curious about how drones or any of this stuff works I’d be glad to explain in person, you don’t have to commit to helping out to be curious :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I forgot to post what I currently have. Here’s some pictures. You’re welcome to laugh at the oversized PCB for the transmitter.

1 Like

@JamesW

I would be interested but 0 electronic skills.

Hi Andrew
I have built a drone from a 3DR kit and would be interested in joining your project, as well as putting one of my own together, once the 3D printer build group meet Tuesday evening wraps up, likely sometime this winter.
Cheers
Daniel

Happy to get involved and help where I can

I’d be keen to join this, however only very minimal electronic experience

i’d also like to get involved if possible, i have a 95% built hexacopter that needs some attention.

It’s good to know there’s so much interest in this project! If it’s alright with everyone, how about meeting wedneday a 7pm for an hour? I’ll explain the parts of the quadcopter and how it all comes together to make a final flying drone, and talk more about the project I guess.

*I’m actually still waiting for my membership to go through so having this at the same time as the open day seems less cheeky.

Cheers,
Andy

I’m probably too late for this but I’m very interested in drones…!
(I like to fly fpv and have built and crashed several)
I have one which I very much want to get into the air…
I’m more into the flying than the electronics so would dearly love to have a chat with someone who finds the electronics/software side easy… I have a 2S tiny whoop which i REALLY want to fly.

Hi. I’m not interested in the build but If you have any doubt or question I’m happy to help.
I used to be one of the main contributors of an open source drone project (www.librepilot.org, born from the now disappeared OpenPilot) until a few years ago, so I can definitely help.
One advise is to use an existing flight board. They have all sensors onboard and are really cheap. This make it more reliable as you have a lot less wires around.

Cheers,
Alessio

1 Like

Not entirely related but I have a perfectly working DJI phantom 2 and it’s now almost impossible to get batteries that aren’t rubbish. Could this be a good repurpose into a Frankenstein drone? Reuse the internals and ditch the outer and battery system? I’m not at all an electronics guy but if someone want to have a play, we could give it a go?

Well, I’m always up for frankensteining things.

Hi @emuboy, just trying to revive the idea of the Franken drone, the phantom 2 and a battery and controller are still gathering dust… any ideas?

1 Like

Depends, what’s your final goal with it ?

Beside the batteries it’s basically working, right? we could hack a new battery pack in or, if is not functional anymore perhaps brain transpant a ardudrone board into it?

FY if you guys need/want/interested I’ve got tonnes of multirotor material, frames, motors, ESC, propeller, flight controller and batteries (triage might be required to check which one are still good). This include experience building over dozens of multirotor. My participation is optional but feel free to drop me any questions if need be.

Laurent

You haven’t got a spare transmitter/reciver/esc ? By rover still need to be finished :smile:

1 Like

Actually yes I do!

Nice! When are you around at the space ? Maybe we can have a chat

I’ll gather things over the weekend and I see if I can drop next Thursday but I already got something planned so I can’t guaranty. try to drop me a pm with what you have or what you need.