Broken down fridge

I have a small fridge that was left behind by the previous occupants of my house which worked for many years before it suddenly stopped. I would like to make it work again but I do not know anything about fridges, or what the usual problems with them are. The inside light also does not work on the fridge, so that made me think it is something to do with the power supply, rather than simply the compressor failing. The bulb is fine, and the plug’s fuse is intact. The specific refrigeration unit in the fridge is this one:

http://embraco.com/catalog/Compressors.aspx?idProduto=457961&idCapacidade=1995162&idOleo=37&tipoTeste=EN12900HH&aplicacao=6&frequencia=50&capacidadeFuncionamento=&paginaAnterior=Results-Compressors.aspx?m=Model|qtdregistrospagina=20|p=|s=C|refrigerant=16|voltage=2|type=1|frequency=50|hpmin=|hpmax=|efficiencymin=0|efficiencymax=3|capacitymin=35|capacitymax=2560|quickSearch=

I have seen at the back that all the power runs into the refrigeration unit before going anywhere else (such as to the interior bulb). The cost of a new refrigeration unit is about as much as, or more than, a fridge. However, I was hoping that a single electrical component might have gone wrong and might be relatively easily replaced. Is that idea worth pursuing, or am I onto a loser?

You need to F gas licenced to work on the refrigerant side which you will need to, to change the compressor

If its not the compressor as such it is probably the gas which you will need to hire someone to do

Rarely is it economical to repair

Would it not be worth tracing through the power supply?

You should ask Dermot for the plans for making an emf camp fridge

You could check the klixon but if that is gone its likely that the compressor wont be far behind

The age suggests it is likely refrigerant

a klixon is a motor (compressor) over heat thermostat used on domestic refrigeration

1 Like