Bluetooth reciever mount for DT770 headphones

So, I have a very lovely pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones.

I did a detachable cable mod some time ago and now, in the post minijack age of smart phones, I wanted to make them Bluetooth.

So I bought a little, cheap, reciever
SZMDLX Bluetooth Receiver Wireless… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0767CL99C?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
(Other multi national mega retailers are available)

And made a short lead so I can clip it onto the forks on the headphones.

It has (had) a clip, but it’s not very secure.

So I designed a clip thingy and 3d printed it

It works! Some modifications are required, the clip at the bottom is slightly too long, and it could do with being a bit less substantial. Also the bit that holds the reciever is a bit too snug - it needs to be tight to provide a sufficient interference fit, but it’s probably a bit too tight.

Took about an hour to 3D print this morning before work :slight_smile:

Printed in Filamentive recycled red PLA

5 Likes

Clip v2 has arrived https://a360.co/2LLRwNS

Notable improvements:

• The clip at the bottom is much shorter - still flat (not ideal) but at least it shouldn’t interfere with the earcup causing it to not sit on my head quite right
  • No more slot of the built in clip on the reciever - turns out it’s easier to just pull the clip right off!
  • The hole where the reciever sits is about 0.1mm wider than it used to be - hopefully this provides a slightly looser fit than previously.
  • The clip itself is properly centered :stuck_out_tongue:
  • The “base” is a tiny bit thicker to help it keep rigidity.

In progress:

So also worth mentioning, this is not by far the only thing I’ve customised on my headphones - my full write up of all of it’s in my blog post about headphones. They’ve also got aftermarket ear pads (which are surprisingly comfortable!) and a detachable cable mod with a minijack socket (mini XLR is such a faff…). The cable between the headphones and the Bluetooth receiver is a custom one I made for the occasion.

If you like the look of it, I’ve got a few left over materials (the cable itself (Van Damme XKE install-pair), and the techflex sleeving (Neon blue PET) and heatshrink) and I’d be happy to make a cable up for you for the cost of the connectors :slight_smile:

1 Like

Print is done - and the fit is MUCH better now. The clip barely touches the earcup and does not restrict it’s movement any more. I guess it could do with being slightly curved, but it’s only a small thing at this point.

The only remaining issue is the fit is still a bit overly snug and the depth of the clip is ever so slightly too shallow and narrow. It’s giving plenty of clamping force, which is good, but it’s deflecting a little bit more than I’d like.

But overall, it’s as sturdy as anything at the moment! I think I’ll give it a bit of a test drive and if there are any more issues I might go for a v3 - but seems pretty good for now!

2 Likes

Love it - I have a similar plan for my Senheizer HD25s so great to see your solution. I like the non destructive mount idea! I’ve only got as far as testing if bluetooth receiver can drive them.

2 Likes

Utoh! It broke!

Turns out, there’s a very good reason for that. The way in which I made the hole for the receiver to sit in was to model the receiver, then project the outline of the profile to a sketch then apply a 0.1mm offset, then extrude that through the clip to make the hole. But - when I did the extrusion I didn’t select the offset line, I selected the projected profile instead! So it was a precise interference fit with no tolerance. That was a noob move.

Release notes for Version 3:

• Outer chamfers have been tweaked so they’re more consistent across the whole item
  • Retaining clips for the receiver are a bit thicker to add some strength.
  • The clip has a slight rounding to it to make the fit a bit more snug against the headphone forks

Done!

1 Like