Blood taking helpers

Prototypes to help in taking bloods from babies.
Unlike adult bottles which have vacuum tubes to suck blood from a vein, taking blood test from babies involve slowly dripping into small pots.
It’s very fiddly with a wriggling baby and bottles often get knocked over since you have to put one bottle down and pick up the next while holding a cannula/needle in place with the other hand.

Concept 1 : Organiser to provide a stable platform by the bedside.

Concept 2: Rack
Idea here is that you pop all the caps and advance the holder as each bottle fills without having to put the device down. A capillary tube can clip into a thin recess in order to get a blood gas - the tube must remain horizontal as it’s transported to the analyser.

As the holes go all the way through it’s fairly easy to clean which is an important design consideration due to infection control.

Cut on 9mm white acrylic. Thanks @lewisss for advice on settings.
100 power, speed 0.4 and passes 3.
I used multiple passes of engraving to cut the shallow top holders and the capillary recess.

2 Likes

This is not that dissimilar to home blood tests where they have a cool little stand built into the packaging.

That’s neat. Features like this makes you feel that the product was tested in real world.

Update: I’ve got a consultant peadiatrician onboard and we are doing a quality improvement project at the hospital.

3 Likes

You should try getting it out of a cat .

I would find that a bit hairy!

1 Like