Blade Runner - the original - wanted

Hello Spacelers,

I am really keen to see the new Blade Runner (even though it fails the Bechdel test, sadly) in the cinemas, but I have a pretty rare condition:

I have never seen the original!

And due to some circumstances*** that I don’t think merit yet another insanely long argument (as have been fought for generations on the web already) I am absolutely set on watching the original cinematic release voice-over and all.

Problem is, that version is unavailable by itself, to buy, or rent in a high-enough quality to make it worth my while!
If any of you have the original, cinematic release with voice-over and would consider lending me the disc, I would be most grateful!

I will be in the space tonight from about 18:00(I hope - definitely from 19:00-20:30 for the Go-go-dancing-governance meeting. Otherwise: have bicycle, can pick up!

Many thanks!
Hanry

***mostly I am a huge fan and a tiny bit mates with Mitch Benn and I trust his judgement on this so I made that decision and sticking to it :slight_smile:
see: http://bestforfilm.com/film-blog/deckard-is-not-a-bloody-replicant-blade-runner-1982-a-defence/

1 Like

Don’t wanna argue about it, but I’ve only seen the cinematic version and I thought it was pretty poor. Made me think Blade Runner was a bit of a band wagon phenomenon. Like Star Wars, or the Beatles.
I’m keen to watch the final cut as that’s what most people say is the best version. Will be keeping clear of 2049 until I get round to seeing Scott’s definitive version.

Unfortunately I don’t have the DVD to loan either. Good luck with the hunt.

That link made me scream a bit.

The first release misses a lot and Imho a lot of really very important stuff from the story Philip k dick wrote.

In short. The unicorn dream is really freaking important.

I believe the Original theatrical release is available on Amazon and itunes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-Harrison-Ford/dp/B00HUT2PV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508689721&sr=8-2&keywords=blade+runner+theatrical

I remember the voice over so must have seen the original as a kid. It does add Chandleresque/noir feel to the film.

oh dear. i did not mean to have a discussion about merits. but it seems to be impossible to not have it.

I knew the moment that I included the link that it would make it more muddy…

if it makes you feel better: I fully intend to watch the directors cut too. I just want to watch that other one first. and for reasons… i intend to stick to that.

so please don’t try to change my mind :slight_smile:

Thanks
Hanry

1 Like

And here in lies the first law of being a nerd on the internet :wink:

1 Like

I’d recommend the documentary on the making of the film, it’s a good watch. It has excerpts of the cinematic release so you can get an idea. The cheesy voice-over ruins the film in my opinion (as well as the last minute tampering of the ending from the producers).

From what I can remember Harrison Ford was contractually obliged to do the voice over but was against it, and did a really half assed attempt to try and get them to not include it. It sounds really off.

WB is pulling 2049 from cinemas in the US as it’s doing poorly, it’s absolutely worth seeing in a theatre before it disappears!

Intrigued. This? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1080585/

Yes I think so. Don’t remember it being that long, although i watched it in bits

It’s on youtube I think

The doc on the making of abyss is a good one too

I just watched the movie and enjoyed it .
Its a good film.

How are we making watching a film difficult?

1 Like

Good point, I started watching that some time ago, should go back and follow that up :slight_smile: