Bike Repair Meet-up!

Come to the South London Makerspace Bike Repair Meet-up!

Open for everyone, including kids and non-members

Time to get your bike fit for the spring! Have you been meaning to tune up your bike? Got one sitting in the shed and it needs something to be road-worthy?

Come! Bring your bike and any necessary spares and let’s get them all fixed up together and have some repair fun!

Date: Mon, March 6th, 2023
Time: 7:30PM - 9:30PM (ish)

6 Likes

@hernehillier and I will bring rims, spokes and hubs… it will be fun… we are going to build few wheels. I’ve never done before.

1 Like

Good article about building standard 36 spokes bicycle wheel in a conventional lacing pattern.:biking_woman:t4::biking_man::biking_man:‍♂

If anyone wants to build a wheel, let me know asap.

We might be able to do tubeless tyre installation or chain waxing at cost of materials too, if there’s demand.

3 Likes

Tippy top end chain wax anyone? I can source some bike parts (including chains) at trade cost, and lend an ultrasonic cleaner and wax pot for the night.

2 Likes

Yes please! My bike is super dirty! @clem can you bring the bike cleaning stuff?

Hello - I would be interested if not too late! I’m actually looking to swap out a hub for a fg with adjustable chainline so more of a rebuild. Will see you all there on Mon

1 Like

Reminder to order the spares you need for fixing your bike next Monday :bike::woman_mechanic::man_mechanic:

1 Like

I aim to change BB and crank on my cargo BMX. From one piece crank and USA size bb to integrated single speed crank standard 24mm. I found a low price Sealed USA Bottom Bracket but it is only for 19 axe. Anyone has any advice on how to sort out BB and Crank on a shoestring budget?

1 Like

Hopefully someone else here has more experience with bmx bikes? I have worked on a few thousand bikes, but only a handful of them were bmx, so I’m unaware of the solution.

Going out of town so may not see replies, but due to levels of interest the wheel workshop will be done separately. :+1:

3 Likes

BMX is a new universe of sizes and standards
… i though to be able to mix and match but there are challenges :man_facepalming:

Lotsa bikes happening!

2 Likes

Thanks very much to everyone who had a go at adjusting my derailleur, and sorry I had to dash off but I’ll definitely be back for the next one!

What was it you said I should try spraying into the derailleur? Was it just regular WD-40 or something more exotic?

2 Likes

Thanks for making me feel so welcome on my first bike night everyone.

Still getting my head around Discourse, so missed @hernehillier’s kind chain wax offer :cry:

Apologies:- You were all correct… you CAN use a Helicoil to convert threads from right to left hand… In fact, this would likely produce a better result than my suggestion. So, sorry for talking such nonsense…

A wheel building evening sounds super fun. :heart_eyes:

I hope I didn’t do too much damage to peoples bikes :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Just wd40, although Andy found a different brand that we used. Seemed to me that the derailleur movement was sluggish in its last 2mm of travel, throwing the indexing/feathering off. It’s possibly an issue with the cable, but might be caused by grit built up on derailleur hinges.

1 Like

I had some tf2 that I’ve used and it now seems much smoother. If the weather clears up I’ll have a proper ride and see how it’s feeling in action!

1 Like

Hi Andy and people on the picture,
Would you be happy for this to be shared on social media?
Also, if you have any other pictures from the day please share them! :slight_smile:

cc @TracyD

2 Likes

Fine with me, check with @hernehillier, @james-c, @VintageSteel - who is the 4th, sorry!

1 Like

All good with me

2 Likes