Bike gears TLC - Gear tuning workshop?

My bike (push bike) is coming to the point where it needs its yearly maintenance. (Gears not always going in to top gear + probably just needs a check over)

I was hoping to try and do this myself this year instead of taking it to get a service at XYZ cycle shop. I’ve tried in the past with YouTube but always seemed to make it worse.

Any one got any hands on experience tuning gears specifically + maybe general bike once over and have some spare time?

These been posts on before about this but I’ve always been too busy to make it down.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks could be good.

Thanks

If there a few people with same issue maybe we could do a tuning gears workshop??

I have almost zero gear changing ability so I’ll be servicing mine soon. I’m competent with mountain bike gears and others are similar.

What bike is it?

I have a mountain bike.

I don’t really get your message though…

It says you have no ability to change gears, but that you are competent at repairing them?

I have a lot of bicycle service experience, first question though, how long since you had your chain/sprockets changed?

1 Like

Perhaps I could have been clearer.

The gears on my existing main bike have ceased functioning.

It’s an easy job that I haven’t got round to.
I rarely use them as it’s an electric conversion.

I could actually do with a larger chain ring.

1 Like

I believe conventional wisdom is to change chain rings, sprockets/cassette and chain all at the same time.

Obviously this can be quite expensive.

I get years more life out of a daily-use bike by oiling the chain as soon as I can hear it, and replacing the chain as soon as it starts to slip.

If the chain is slipping badly it’s very important to check your sprockets first, if your sprockets/chainring teeth are worn the slippage will only get worse with each chain change

If I get some time later ill post a little guide on gear tuning if anyone is interested :+1:t4:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

i think last year(new chain and sprocket) or the year before…without much use since then.

I think it’s just the top derailer that needs tweeking as it tends to go out after a while.

would you have any time to show me how to tune them up? I’ve tried in the past but seem to make it worse then envitably just take it to a shop. Seems like theres a nack im not getting

we have a stand at the space but i think most of the tools have walked.

Hey Paul, can you post some pics of your drivetrain? Let’s see what it looks like :slight_smile:

Depending on the groupset, you may be able to tweak the bits just with a few allen keys or a flat screwdriver. Changing the cassette/chain/rings may be needed, if too worn (the rings should be OK, unless you do 20k+ km/year, but cassette and chain need changing more often). Also cables can break and get stuck - it’s good to check the whole system once in a while.