Bass Guitar Bridge

Ive been having lots of fun with a project to make a bass guitar bridge on the mini CNC machine, I thought I would post my progress :slight_smile:

Im fairly new to the CAD world and I did my design using FreeCAD.

I was quite keen to use FreeCAD as its open source and was wary of getting sucked into the world of expensive CAD software. FreeCAD is amazing but its definitely been a labour of love getting up to speed with it. You can definitely get things done with it but it has some pretty serious problems that make it pretty tedious to work with.

Id be interested what everyone else is using for CAD/CAM especially if there is an ‘affordable’ alternative :slight_smile:

When it came to the machining Ive had a couple of attempts to machine the main body of the bridge.

I clamped to the stock onto the bed and machined the ‘bottom’ surface to get it flat.

I then mounted on a piece of sacrificial perspex so I could machine the sides of the stock from the top without the clamps getting in the way.

Initially I used super glue to fix the stock, which has worked for me in the past, but this time I was machining away quite a bit of material and the stock got hot enough to melt the super glue so it came unstuck half way through :frowning_face:

The second attempt I drilled and threaded some screw holes into the stock and sacrificial perspex. I could only do this at one end of the stock as the design is not thick enough at the other end.

This definitely worked better, but not perfectly, the end of the stock that was not screwed down was lifting very slightly which caused chatter and some uneven machining.

I did my best to tidy up the surfaces and carry on just to try and prove out the process. It worked pretty well although the bridge was thinner than it was supposed to be which cause some problems down the line.

I needed to do a third setup to drill the holes and recesses in the ‘back’ of bridge.

The design is pretty thin so I clamped it between some 123 blocks to keep it nice and square.

It was pretty tight in terms of z-axis but worked.

You can see there is not enough room for the recesses due to too much of the top of the bridge being machined away previously.

Although not a success Im pretty pleased with the progress so far.

Ill have another go at this and see if I can get it all perfect.

I need to rethink the fixturing so the workpiece is held down at both ends. I also need to be a bit smarter touching off in the different setups as the fixturing holes were not quite in the right place once the ‘top’ machining had been done.

I still need to come up with a strategy for making the saddles thats definitely going to be a challenge for a number of reasons :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your learnings!

Great project! If it interests you, your project is prime for softjaws or even a custom fixture. Here’s a whole series of quickish videos on work holding techniques: https://www.nyccnc.com/fixturing-recap/

1 Like

Hey @Kyle, thanks! Ill take a look at those videos :slight_smile: