Bandsaw on tool control

The bandsaw has been added to the existing tool control circuit, so will only work with a woodtech key in the keyswitch.

The reason for this is twofold: techs have observed a number of unsafe cuts being undertaken in the last couple of weeks; and (likely as a result of this) the blade on the saw is now dangerously blunt. This blade was only fitted in March, and they should last longer than that with correct use.

An interim tool control system of one form or another will be fitted by the end of the month, after which I aim to start inducting people on this tool.

@woodworkers , with apologies for the mass tag.

7 Likes

Thanks for all the hard work your putting in Ed.
Huge effort.

Thanks Paul - but it’s only as much as the other woodtechs are doing!

Any other threads / updates on this (discourse search is a little lacking)? I bought new blades for it which have been fitted but I can’t use it, no key or induction.

I think we need Rethink our strategy for getting tools to the masses.

Some new ideas. A new approach. Or just jump starting the old process. Somebody to step up and organise these fairly small admin tasks.

I’m doing two admin tasks for SLMS at the moment and don’t have time for more right now.

It’s a small admin project that needs a few hours contributed to. I don’t think this is necessarily a project for the woodtechs but one that could be done with their input and eventually doing the inducting.

• check status of risk assessment
  • check status of tool control
  • complete where nessercery and get signed off.
  • find out how access is given to inductees
  • communicate this to members
  • arrange for a tech, or other “capable“ person, to run 1 or more inductions.
  • advertise inductions.
  • assign inductees access

My advice is that concentrating on any single tool and seeing it threw to the end would be much more achievable than trying to do more than one and getting bogged down and losing momentum.

#stepUpAndBeAhero

I would be really happy to do this!

I think it’s one of it the most pressing issues at SLMS.

People’s enthusiasm when they come to open evenings and see all the amazing tools is so great. The reality of trying to get to a position where they can actually use them seems to throughly kill those positive vibes.

1 Like

Great!! Thanks for stepping forward!

Do you want to try to do this for the bandsaw first and see how far you can get with it?
I think that would be a good test - a proof of concept that we could get a tool up and running.

Do you want advice / help?

The best place to start would be finding out where we are at with the risk assessment and tool control for both of these. I think they are both in place but needs checking. then work down the list.

Any questions?

@fincheee do you know the current status?

Bandsaw sounds good.

Searching through discourse it seems like loads of stuff has been done to try and get things to a place where people can use these tools. Im not sure what if anything I can bring to the table other than time and some enthusiasm, as well as a desire to see everyone in the space using all the tools that they joined the space hoping to use!

I am a bit intimidated by the task. But very happy to try and help!

I guess one of my main concerns is that I don’t really know where the buck stops. Who is ultimately responsible?

It seems like there are a few ways forward.

1. Taking up the baton from where it last reached.

2. Scrapping all previous attempts and starting fresh.

3. Some compromise between those two options.

1 Like

As a tentative first step I’ve emailed maker spaces in Manchester, Cambridge Birmingham, Leeds and Nottingham asking them how they go about inducting new members on tools.

Hopefully they might be able to offer some advice about possible new ways of doing things!

2 Likes

Ultimately the directors are responsible for any accidents. Therefore it’s in there interests (and everyone’s) to make sure nothing happens.

Hence the risk assessments to show we have done everything to make this as safe as possible. The tool control to make sure only the correct people have access. And the inductions to act as a formal documented method of showing accountability and to get the user using the equipment safely. It terms of legality this covers us and them unless a serious breach can be found. Remember they only get in trouble if it can be proven that there wasn’t a safe system in place, not that they are responsible for people doing things they shouldn’t / or accidents.

The directors delegate responsibility of the training [not the ultimate responsibility] to techs.

The risk assessment and tool control have also been delegated. I’m not sure to who exactly.

We probably have all the risk assessments written somewhere. I think @fincheee may have done this. @dermot any ideas?

The real work here is more detctective work and a bit of admin. You probably need to find the old ones. Get them published. They may already be written they may not. Get that done then we can tackle the inductions side.

FYI: I think it’s been tried already but for what ever reason didn’t get to the end. If we can do one tool from end to end that would shine a light for the rest. You’re help would be very much appreciated to a lot of members I’m sure

Tool control is imminent!

Courty

Inductions will follow!

Clix

Anything I can do to help at all? Perhaps not?