Band saw out of service lathe tool sharpening

the last person to change the blade on the band saw has managed to set the new guides we bought less than six months ago the wrong way , so now we have one completely butchered back guide.

1. blades should not be changed by anyone other than a woodtech
  2. If a woodtech has changed it please let me know and i will show you how to set the guides properly!!!
  3. If anyone thinks they are sure how to calibrate/set up/ service any of the tools in the woodshop . …

I don’t care how sure you are, please don’t do it unless at least 2 @woodtechs have confirmed how to do it and given express permission.

Tormek sharpener .

Last year we spent a lot of money buying jigs for sharpening the lathe tools,
These allow each gouge/scraper and skew to be sharpened to exactly the same angle/sweep/grind but with taking the least amount of material off the blade.

Every chisel has a band on the handle which gives the correct settings for each jig.

One of the skew chisels took 1 1/2 hours to put back to the way it should be this week because someone decided that it would be easier just to put a secondary bevel on it!

Please please please don’t sharpen the lathe gouges unless you have been shown how the sharpening system works by myself or one of the lathetechs.

Next paragraph deleted a number of times because I can’t convey how frustrating this is without getting this post flagged!

3 Likes

I haven’t noticed the bandsaw blade having changed in a number of weeks: I would say possibly not since January. I recall the current one being put on about then and assumed it was for the purposes of resawing blocks for use on the lathe.

As always your vigilance in noting this sort of frustrating stuff is appreciated by the members.

That sucks! Time and money to order a replacement part and a tool out of use.

Calum and I put a greenwood blade on under close supervision of Joe, when was that? Jan or early Feb? Looks like someone’s changed the blade again…any sign where they put the greenwood blade?

What was the topic off the third paragraph?

Cockney rhyming slang helps to avoid flagging.

To add to this I noticed on Monday eve that the roughing gouge had been sharpened incorrectly. Probably an easy mistake to make but it really does make the tool ineffective. It should have a single concave bevel and at the moment it has several convex bevels. I’ll try and feed this stuff more into L2 inductions…I understand there are a lot of different gouges and it’s not always easy to remember.

1 Like

Roughing gouge done.

1 Like

I say done… didn’t feel like doing aall the grinding, took a little more off post turning so it’s a fresh edge, will continue doing a sharpen each week, should be a clean single bevel in not too long…

If there is a lot to remove we can always grind on bench grinder and then hone on tormek. Would help save the stone aswell.