Asbestos Gone - options?

Asbestos gone is a London based company that tackle Asbestos Removel issues.

They have a great list of previous clients including the BBC [reassuring and slightly odd].

I saw their van last week, and emailed them. They contacted me the next day very eager (as they where in Herne Hill doing another job) to come and give us a free quote.

I said we would need to arrange access etc.

Very happy to arrange from start to end - as it seems like a pretty easy task [getting a free quote]. Otherwise they are pretty easy to find on Google.

2 Likes

Why would this be anything to do with us vs the landlord’s responsibility?

(Or is this related to a tool / piece of equipment)

The arrangement the directors have negotiated means we have the responsibility to clear the arch.

I believe they negotiated that the landlord will pay for half of the costs too.

The current plan is to do the work ourselves.

I’m suggesting we get a professional contractor to do this instead, so we can get on with moving in as quickly and safely as possible.

At the moment I’m just suggesting we get a free quote from these people so we can make an informed decision based on a quote.

I hope that answers your question. Did you have any others?

All good cheers Paul.

(I guess this rolls into the general theme of keeping track of things that need to get done but also having enough info & background attached to them and/or available that members can interact usefully/helpfully and chinese whispers doesn’t set in… I see other threads bouncing ideas around on that challenge already!)

1 Like

is there an update from the directors on this?
i think we should get a couple of quotes and crack on, are we paying rent on the new arch yet?

1 Like

Aye aye, second that

£1800pm according to directors in the members meeting.

i’ve heard we had until xmas, for free, im guessing they [the landlords] expected (quite reasonably) that we would have completed any work by then. [find a contractor / wait for them to be available / have the work carried out]

I think we have been offered half the money for the costs by the landlords, but we seem to want to do it ourselves. half of zero is nothing.

seems like the “just get it done [ourselves]” approach is just slowing things down and costing us money. rent for arches we can’t use and potential income from new members that will turn up once things are going. It’s tieing up key members on tasks they dont even need to be doing

sadly we havent started any work and don’t even have a risk assessment published on discourse that explains what the work intails and how we want to do this…

…our record on getting risk assessments stands at around 4 years for a pillar drill so i’m not totally confident this would get done any time soon - unless people that are queuing up to help are allowed to do so.

In Jan i think we start paying for the new arch. But we are not able to use and have no clear plan on discourse.

The majority of members don’t know whats happening and offers of help are being ignored.

Could a simple solution be we pay a contractor to do this?

1 Like

@directors - Can we get a response on this please?
Can you also publish the risk assessment, and work to this point?

I believe it would be a good investment to get a firm in to just get this done, so we can start making use of the arch and know that it was done safely / completely.

1 Like

I am happy to write a risk assessment for a few things if somone sends me your form and what machine and materials are being used on it.

Especially things like electronics, wood and plastic work.

Hey, thanks

He’s specifically asking about the RA for the new arch… which I’m just finishing this morning