Appreciation thread

It’s all in the eye of the beholder… :wink:

14 Likes

I’d like to thank @joeatkin2 for all his time he had spent keeping our space working, real thanks!

• fixing broken shutter
  • continuing project wood workshop
  • sorting the cracked toilet

and the other zillion hours in the last 8 years!

14 Likes

I would like to express infinite gratitude to whomever evened out the Tormeks water stone. It is spot on. Thanks!!

9 Likes

A massive thanks to @platinumnqueen22 for guarding the Space overnight after the shutter broke. Absolute leggend.

15 Likes

Thanks to everyone involved in South London Maker Festival – so many parts went into making it a fantastic day: from social media and organising beforehand, to setting up (Station Hall and the arches looked great!), people got a warm welcome, there were lively conversations everywhere you turned…and this year we managed to fill two venues with fascinating, engaging objects, people, and hands-on activities – almost entirely from SLMS members: it was great to see so many people leaving with a buzz and new enthusiasm for making

It’s a testament to the breadth of talent and energy across SLMS that we can put on such a strong showing

Too many people to list individually made this work, but a big shout out does need to go to @Brendon_Hatcher for his quiet corralling of everyone, without which it simply wouldn’t have happened

10 Likes

Thanks to @danielbenton for the long term loan of a TIG welder!

Will be great to add this to our growing metalwork area!

Cheers,
Andy

6 Likes

Big thanks to @Kyle for the countless hours over the last 9 months working on SLMS Systems!

We successfully completed a big Wordpress server migration tonight that brings all our systems under SLMS control and will allow us to put in further automation between Discourse and the e-commerce site as well as get Tool Control running in Arch 2 (which Kyle is also working on!).

Shout outs to @yshui, @chris_slms and @Gilbert for rolling their sleeves up to get familiar with Tool Control nodes and assist with getting everything up and running after the server migration.

We tested and re-tested everything, but if you notice any issues with tool control or the main website, please let @systems know!

Thanks!!

21 Likes

Huge thanks for the green tick working again!

3 Likes

100% @Kyle!

3 Likes

I have re-enabled it for now as the shutter log seems to be accurate but we did not change the code on the shutter node yet so it may still act up.

2 Likes

Hi all, today was my first day pottering around the space since early 2020 - and could I just say that the difference between now and then is fantastic. Tool control has come on in leaps and bounds, I can pay for my materials online at the laser shop, to say nothing of a whole new arch…

Thanks to everyone who’s improved the space in the last two years and to everyone for their ongoing efforts to keep it going!

16 Likes

Thanks to @mbg for creating new project storage tags! Looking good and very useful!

9 Likes

I’d like to thank @Karin for stepping up to volunteer for the welcome admin! Doing a fantastic job, thank you so much!

7 Likes

Yesterday Andy aquired some equipment for the space from the garage next door. This included a parts cleaner, only it needed cleaning out. It had a drum full of old petrol that parts had been cleaned in and was very nasty and bad. He came back in the evening with work clothes and single handedly did that cleaning, emptying the old petrol into containers to be disposed of properly, washing it all out etc. it was a job from hell, and Andy just quietly got on and did it while also working 36 hours a day for the space. It’s awesome.

13 Likes

Thanks Dan!

I definitely can’t take all the credit! I started working on this thing and huge thanks to @hernehillier who jumped in and took it from my meager 5/10 to 11/10!

Before @hernehillier:

After @hernehillier!

4 Likes

I just want to thanks @Laura_Barlow for sharing the hosting of the electronics night and to come up with new ideas and always happy and positive attitude!

6 Likes

Can I give a huge shoutout to @Christian. I put out a request to see if somebody could help me carve out a bench seat on the CNC before final shaping and finessing by hand. Christian was incredibly generous with both his time and skill helping me to model out the bench and carve it out. The second time we met he even brought biscuits. What a guy! Christian I hope to be able to repay the favour. Thank you very much indeed.

9 Likes

Hey, I’d like to appreciate @Martyn_Thomas for doing such a great job at inducting and supporting laserusers. The whole lasertech team is super great and am glad it works so well.

9 Likes

Likewise, I’ve never used the lasercutter prior to my induction with Martyn and the video he made along with a friendly run though in person (and a slice of the delicious nettle and honey cake) make the whole thing very accessible and enjoyable!

2 Likes

Aw thanks guys! I only do it because everyone else is awesome. I look forward to seeing what everyone makes using it :slight_smile:

2 Likes