Anyone know Solidworks?

Sorry if this is the wrong category

I was wondering if anyone know how to use solidiworks

I have used solidedge and but i want to learn solidworks, If anyone used it before can give me a few pointer on how to use it properly

thanks

@cjjharries?

Not sure if it’s the right category ( I never know…) but I’m a long time solidworks user so can definitely give you some pointers. I’m not sure when next in space but definitely there on Monday week (13th) for a laser cutter induction.

For the record, #admin is for bureaucracy only. Talking about stuff goes in #discussion

cool, I would like to attend to the laser cutting induction as well… would i need to put my name down for the induction or do i just show up?

Have a look in the admin section (although you may need to be a member and have your direct debit to though before you can see it) theres a waiting list you can sign up to for laser inductions. It’s reasonably short at the moment and inductions are about every fortnight at the current rate, but obv depends on availability of techs :slight_smile:

There’s a (longish) queue - you can join by adding your name to the end of
the editable laser induction post.

ok cool thanks guys I’ll put my name down

Hi @RoyM - I’m another longtime SW user and use it at work too. Whenever we have a newbie to induct we basically tell them to work through the tutorials (obvious answer I know but they genuinely are the best way to get a broad grounding very quickly) and then it’s just as much practice as you can get. Once you get the hang of the basics then the more refined stuff like complicated lofted cuts will follow pretty naturally. Good luck!

I did what @CriticalTolerance recommend I worked my way through the tutorial and can play around nicely now. It’s a steep learning curve but SW is so nice compared to other options it’s totally worth it.

@CriticalTolerance if you have some pointer for me about designing Rack & Spur Gear (not the Mate but integrating them in your design) that would be sweet

Hey guys thanks for your replys,

I was wondering is there a lot of difference between versions. I currently have SW 2010 installed, could I learn a lot more on newer versions?

I’ve only used 2016 but from all the tutorial video I went through actually it doesn’t matter that much it seems. Sometime it refer to some features or buttons that I can’t find but google “where is X in solidworks 2016” and voila

What you can do in 2016 is pretty much possible in 2010 except the UI might not be as friendly meaning you have to apply a specific methodology to get to the same results. You can see the full list of new features from that document

Roy I’ll PM you in a minute

whats this feature on solidworks, which i cant seem to find on my version…
where its similar to a assembly tree where you can add and build with parts/objects afterwards you can enter new dimensions, which will adjust the design or define a feature of your assembled product and you can add or reduce the number of the feature in your product.

its quite similar to how a kitchen design software uses kitchen/furniture blocks and you can type in the dimensions and it will adjust the block to your dimension.

I don’t know if that made sense to you or know what I’m on about :confused:

excuse my poor grammar and punctuation, my dyslexia doesn’t help me when I try to describe things off my head

thanks laurent

Are you referring to SW Treehouse ? http://www.solidsmack.com/cad/solidworks-large-assembly-optimization-with-treehouse/

Hey, I was talking about weldment or multi-bodies part building

Hi Laurent, sorry, I’ve been out for a couple of days. What are you trying to do with rack and spur gears? I’ve not got too much experience with them but I’ll be happy to make suggestions if there’s something I can help with.

Thx Edward, I ended following video tutorial on youtube about building gears http://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2014/07/how-to-create-spur-and-helical-gears-in-solidworks.html

A bit of formula reading to understand the relationship.
http://www.hpcgears.com/pdf_c33/rack_spurgear_id.pdf

I’ll be test printing most likely over the weekend.

there’s also a gear cutting device in the space, that I’m sure someone with some of the know-how could mess with with you, if gears are your thing @frasco.