Anyone have or know where I can buy birch plywood offcut?

…the good quality furniture making birch ply, with plugs on one side (not sure the technical name). At 3/4" (18mm) thickness and measuring around 530mm x 1200mm.

I can’t seem to find a place that will sell a specific size, as I don’t need a whole humungous sheet!

:slight_smile:

Whitten timber sell offcuts!

Ah cheers. Yeh I emailed them and they said they do sell them when they have them but don’t have any right now and I would need to keep checking in

Maybe we should stock 2-3 sheets at the space that people can buy bits of, similar to the laser shop ?

We could have a system where the sheet gets cut once people reserve enough of 1 sheet to avoid wastage

1 Like

That would be ideal! It’s rare to need an entire sheet

Yes plus delivery on ordering one sheet is expensive! If we can work out the storage it makes sense to have the space get a batch to split the cost.

1 Like

This is an excellent idea if we can sort the storage (without my woodtech hat on). We should deal with the massive woodpile before we address it though!

I think with Whitten’s it’s a case of going there and asking, then rooting around through what they have. There are special places for offcuts, and even the staff don’t know what they have. The good thing is that their birch ply 18mm stock is excellent quality in my experience. If you have not been, it’s about 10 minute walk from Penge train station, and well worth a visit.

Agreed, great idea. I will post separately regarding wood storage area in the snug. Can the tablesaw cut a whole 8x4 sheet in it’s present configuration? I don’t think it can. But totally agreed with “member stock”

1 Like

Thanks Fincheeeee! I’ve been there before but it’s quite out of my way to pay regular visits. I’ll keep pestering them on the emails and phones though :slight_smile:

Folks at Cutlist will do that for you no probs.

Yeah, it’s not on the beaten track exactly. Pestering is always good, but I noticed their phone service skills have room for improvement. :wink: I have noticed while waiting at the counter that regular customer big contracting companies personally known to the staff receive distinctly better treatment on the phone - understandable I suppose.

1 Like

What is Cutlist? I only know the CAD program by that name.

Hard to see how we can justify 8 x 4 sheet storage…however – make the case!

But table saw can definitely handle 8 x 4

1 Like

I just rang them and it’s similar to Whitten Timber that they will cut it if you buy the whole sheet. Unless they have offcuts which they are getting back to me about. So I will be pestering both places :slight_smile:

1 Like

They do have an offcut but it would be £50 for the wood itself plus delivery plus VAT which is too much really. It’s the delivery that really makes it expensive.

@lukeLC Good to know about them though. Would be useful for bigger orders.

1 Like