Any textiles gurus able to guide me please?

We should have the right needles in standardly, if we need more we can get them in on our budget for you to try and a repeat order of the strong polyester thread, we can get you started with what is in the cupboard already and work on getting the right tension on the janome that suits your cordura.

www.sewandso.co.uk/product/machine-needles:-jean-mix/941763

https://www.thehighwaymen.co.uk/Mobile/sewing-thread-v69-dabond-super-strong-c2x10394135

1 Like

I can pop in Wed or Thurs, will confirm on Monday

1 Like

Hi Dale I’ll be in Thursday from lunchtime

1 Like

Awesome. I’ll see you there tomorrow. Cheers.

@techfolderkites hey. I was down the space but I’ve shot off. There’s a a few projects going on down there and the textile corner needs a good tidying session before I’d be able to use it. The material I’ve got is 6m x 2m and is heavy & slippery, so I need a fair whack of space to be able to lay it out, mark it up and cut it corrrectly. Can’t do that today. I’m looking to go down first thing Monday and hopefully catch the space empty. Thanks again for agreeing to help us. Will you be about any time Monday at all? I’m hoping to have some off-cuts sorted by then to practice on. Would be great to have a go to get used to the machine prior to taking the plunge.

Hi Dale, yes I can meet you on Monday. I was just about to leave my flat, I packed some Cordura designed for making bags and some mylar I found in a field used in farming to test with some “jeans” needles, might need a set of “leather” needles of my own but the jeans ones went through 4 layers of the Cordura at once successfully when I was making the nose for my kites.

Sorry the textiles area is a mess, it’s difficult to know who is leaving the stuff there, I will have to come in more regularly just to get an idea of that.

Do you know what your fabric weighs in grams per meter?

There is a resin fabric glue in the drawer that seals when ironed, might be useful to tack your material before sewing. It holds firm so will take some of the weight, but maybe we should think about how the fabric will be folded behind the machine so that around 1 meter is in play when running it through the machine.

The other consideration is folded waterproof seams, might need to see a youtube video if your fabric is really heavy, I have seen seam tutorials for making the seams of tents, there are glues that “weld” the seams so no stitching is needed as well, not advisable but maybe a combination of the two would be good

http://www.metropolis-drachen.de/en/Kite-materials/Cloth-Fabric/Bag-fabrics-Taffeta-Tyvek/

This is D600 (400gram/square meter), I have sewn four layers of this with a jeans 90 needle on the janome, the only difference will be the type of join, but you won’t be going higher than four layers probably

Thank’s for mentioning I noticed this yesterday night also.

Hey…the area ‘could’ have been cleared so that I could’ve used the large textile tables @lewisss was eager to help, but as he quite correctly put it “I got out of bed on the wrong side” today and didn’t wanna play. Felt it better I leave before I ended up casting a grey cloud over the room!

I’m pretty sure it’s 650gsm fabric.

Also, the seams don’t need to be completely waterproof. I’m okay with a little leakage if that’s the best we can do. It’s merely a cover to stop ridiculous amounts of rain settling on the garden bench I made. At the moment the drainage holes I drilled are not clearing the water sufficiently and causing issues. The cover will hopefully put an end to this. Like I said, a little water getting in wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I think gluing the seams in place and then sewing after will be a good idea. Will make it easier to handle…hopefully!

I should be at the space around 9.30am Monday. I’ll probably have to spend about an hour marking and cutting the pattern I’ve come up with - though I’d love to run it by yourself or anyone else with pattern cutting experience first. I’ve come up with this all by myself and I have zero textile experience, so could be missing something major in my plans!

I would post pics and try to explain on here but it’s so complex I’d probably end up confusing myself and everyone else.

The only thing that really gets to me is the wire buzz toy thing on the textiles bench, it just leaves me feeling bewildered and weak

Yep, @textilestechs, friendly support needed A)zero clutter B)Spending some of our budget to support these kinds of inductions

a return to zero clutter would make it possible emotionally speaking to get each task done and should be the norm. I lost my travel pass doing things in a hurry last night, due to ‘bipolar timespace jetlag’. so it is convenient to come in once I source a cheap mountain bike or something while waiting for my replacement pass, travelling in from SE26.

I will come in as early as possible Monday, from around 11am. Available the rest of the day

1 Like

Shift it! Anywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

Morning. I’m here for the most foray of the day if you’re still about today? Cheers.

Hi Dale I will be arriving around 12pm. Cheers, Zack

1 Like

Does anyone know a brand name for the heat set glue mentioned?

I saw a ‘how its made’ about tension fabric buildings and they were heat welding large pieces of strong tarpaulin type material without glue I believe

Could be an improvement with the right tools, the glue is a German brand, can’t quite remember