'Animatronics' ? online beginner resources

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4967b89e0>

Hello everyone,

I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips for trying to learn basic animatronics? I’m trying to make some sculptures that move and am looking at using motors. I want to keep it reallllllyy simple/diy and do most of the work without a load of electrical components (mainly because it’s a bit daunting starting this with my highest relevant qualification being GCSE Physics!)

So far I’ve made one that uses a DC geared motor just plugged into the wall. So looking at doing similar things maybe with different kinds of motors.

All the youtube videos I look at online have lots of components attached like resistors and switches and relays. I’m looking at starting at the complete basic level as I don’t even understand these yet! Anyone have any good (very beginner/diy) resources I could look at online?

So far my next plan is BBC bitesize to refresh my GCSE knowledge!

I know animatronics is a pretty huge complicated thing to try and learn, and maybe its a bit of a stretch to call what I’m doing animatronics, but I’d be grateful for any pointers!

Hope everyone is keeping well in isolation.

maddie

1 Like

Not an expert, but look at servos too. They have a limited range of movement, but you can drive them to any position in (normally) a 180 degree arc. Little ones are very cheap (like £1) but you can get bigger stronger ones too.

Sparkfun and Adafruit have good tutorials in general on this kind of thing

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/hobby-servo-tutorial/all

1 Like

Hi @RichM,

Thanks that sounds interesting! I’ll check out those links too,

Thank you!

steppers and servos dont need to be that difficult

I would recommend learning some programming. a common place to start are the resources that rich recommended … arduino is popular and because it has such large market traction there is a lot of samples and other bits to use with it etc

I am not a “pro” but can do basic stuff, I dont rate myself as a programmer or electronics expert but did not find basic arduino stuff overwhelming and have in most cases got it to what I want

stepper and model servo are very versatile as are DC motors it all depend on what you want them to do…

Yes, a bunch of servos driven by a program on an Arduino would allow for a huge amount of flexibility/complication, and even a degree of interactive behaviour if that’s what you’d like with the addition of ultrasonic detectors, PIR sensors etc

Please keep us updated on what you’re doing!

You could always make a FeelBot…

Thank you that sounds great! I might look into arduino as a couple of friends have tried it out and it seems like theres lots of beginner resources out there.

I’ll try and get my head around stepper and model servo too!

I will do an investigate and maybe come back with some more specific questions, thank you!
maddie

1 Like