All hail (or at least say hello to) Frank: our very first @metaltech

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b52ceb0>

Frank (@frasco here on Discourse) has agreed to become SLMS’s very first @metaltechs!

Frank has been the driving force behind setting up the metalwork corner in the Messy workshop, so he’s been a metaltech in all but name for some time already. He is now leading the charge to acquire a metal lathe. Exciting times.

@metaltechs should be your first point of call for queries in this area, although it’s worth stressing that @techs are there as guardians of areas of the Makerspace: the day to day work still needs to be shared among all of us. So keep an eye out for ‘to do’ lists and get stuck into them.

We’ll be looking for other members to join Frank in championing and furthering all things metal-related, so if this is among your skills and/or enthusiasms please contact Frank via @metaltechs.

Welcome Frank!

11 Likes

I for one welcome our new iron overload

3 Likes

HEAVY METAL THUNDER!!! Welcome!!

2 Likes

I’d like to be a @metaltechs ! :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome Frank!!

Good timing also! Was going to post a @metaltechs question today anyways! I need to cut some bolts tonight and make them shorter- I saw a Dremel in the space - but no cutoff wheels… and an angle grinder that has seen better days. Where can I find a tool to cut small metal bolts?

Cheers!!
Andy

Hacksaw?

Spin a nut on first, then cut to length, file any sharp bits off and then take the nut off - this’ll make sure any deformation of the threads while cutting and filing gets straightened out.

2 Likes

Or two nuts so they lock?

Ill look for a hacksaw! And do the nut trick

There is a new hacksaw and blades, last seen on the shelf above the mill and drill press

Great! Thanks Tom!

i bought a hacksaw the other day for the space, there was a bunch of blades there but the current hacksaw was too small for them

1 Like

Got it sorted! Thanks everyone

2 Likes

Glad to see you finslly a tech @frasco
Well deserved appointment.

@metaltechs let me know if you need any help setting things up. Can’t offer much apart from enthusiasm and grit!

2 Likes