Advice needed on making wood conduct electricity / Building a custom version of Operation!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a392d6b0>

Hello gang,

Last year I made an ‘arcane device’ for some people to disarm at a LARP event. It was essentially a sort of magical machine that they had to take apart. There were cogs made from cardboard to remove to get to a light to turn off. To slow them down there were a few bells attached and if any of them sounded out, something bad would happen. Here is a photo showing how janky it was.

Yes it’s exactly a pretend version what you are thinking of, but I don’t want to say that word on the internet and get on a list. Here is a very bad photo of the players having a great time disarming it. It was a smash hit!

Anyway. I’ve said I’ll do a better one this time round.

My plan is to have two vertical metal bars sticking out of a box. The bars will be connected to a buzzer and a battery (5v probably). So if a connection is made between the two metal bars, the buzzer goes off. Sort of like how the board game Operation! works.

On the bars (with spacers in between) will be a series of cogs that have to be gently removed, without completing the circuit. Sort of like a fancy version of the mark 1 above.

My first idea is to laser cut the cogs - because they I can make them pleasingly complicated - but wood famously doesn’t conduct electricity. Unless you use a lot of power and that’s not what I’m aiming for.

So does anyone have any recommendations on a conductive tape or paint I could put on the cogs? Or some other way of doing it? Yes we could make them from actual metal but I don’t have the certifications and that would mean lots of sharp edges to round off.

The other advantage for laser cut cogs is I can cut test ones out of cardboard and do mock ups really fast.

1 Like

Ha looks great!

A bit fiddly to apply but silver foil might work?

2 Likes

I’ve seen some people have been electrplating 3d prints. I think they paint the print in some sort of metalic paint, then electroplate it to get a uniform coating. If the uniform coating isn’t required then maybe just the paint they recommend would be enough?

1 Like

there is some copper sticky tape around amazon, you can cut it with scissors and should to the job?

2 Likes

would this work ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Repellent-Deterrent-Barrier-Control/dp/B01G971VGY/

Cool project.

Not had any personal experience with it, but I’ve seen projects which have had success with Bare Conductive’s electric paint https://www.bareconductive.com/collections/electric-paint-and-hardware. In theory just paint it on any surface and you get a conductive trace!

There are also silver coloured metallic conductive tapes. But I’d stick with janky. Kitchen foil and spray mount or some suitable adhesive that is to hand or use it with double sided tape. You can cut the tinfoil to shapes and patterns - maybe more fun than tape or paint and it’s also effective as a conductor as well as giving it character.

Yes

I usually advise against, conducive paint has high resistance