Advice for water damaged piece

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49665ef18>

Hi woodworking friends - looking for advice. I need to restore this table as best as I can – it has water damage after a leak which seems to have taken the polish/shine off and also puckered the trim in one place. The stuff on the surface seems (to me) to be dust etc which has stuck where the water pooled and I’m assuming this can be wiped away. It has left a water stain on the wood itself though. This isn’t my piece so I want to check before I start messing with anything. It is a sentimental piece so hoping to restore as well as possible

Don’t have complete advice, but that dusty stuff, try to see if it comes off with an antibacterial spray.

Normally I’d say to sand down and reapply finish, but that looks veneered.

Not an expert on finishes by any means, but would want to know what finish has been used

This strongly looks like mould. It says on some veneer repair website that you can use diluted bleach to remove it.

It also says that the water brings minerals onto the surface which creates a white stain. So the stain might be also made out of minerals.

In my experience cleaning wood with white vinegar is safe to the wood. That could help with dissolving the minerals. Vinegar might be helpful against mould but not as effective as bleach.

I have never used bleach on wood so I would try on a hidden edge first to see if it discolours the veneer. I would try on a hidden place for whatever cleaning product test.

1 Like

Hi,:smiley: :thinking: there is a product on the market which removes round circles left by cups that are wet I think its called de ringer or if the table is french polished then you will have to take it off and re do it, if its waxed based you will have to take it off and re wax it. I hope this is of some help. Keep well . Brian D=

1 Like

Looks like shellac finish to me, water/ liquid has got into the veneer join and lifted it,

First thing to do is recut and repair the veneer, try to remove the old finish, can tryfirst with methylated spirit .
Then re shellac the finish.

The main wood(darker) looks like it may be oak with maple marquetry . Definitely want to try chemical removal of finish, sanding could wear through the veneer and wire wool would leave black spots if it is oak.

Best to try on underside/apron first to see what works