Account on Ruby

Hi!

How do I create an account on Ruby?

Is asking me for a serial number

@lasertechs

I think you’re possibly logging in at the wrong level (but I haven’t used Ruby)

This page suggests you just need an email

Ruby is not installed on your PC.
You login via a local web address.
If you try to install it on your own computer, it will ask for a serial number, and you will still not be able to control the laser.

The details are covered under the heading “Working remotely” in the Ruby user manual.
However, I am increasingly of the opinion that the remote access is only useful for training, not for actually cutting anything.

If you don’t already have a Ruby username, you can only get one when one of the laser techs is at the Laser PC.

1 Like

This might need to be more clearly stated on the WiKi?

I think this is because @Brendon_Hatcher and no excuse is at fault, make an effort pls :wink:

He told me he’d tell me about Ruby but since then what? pfff :crazy_face:

There’s always Job Control, I still use that until it becomes an issue?

Remember that it is a gift not a right? Almost engraved or cut depending on your settings? :slight_smile:

I’m not trying to install it on my computer, I stated Ruby on the laser computer, it did the webpage on the local webserver
But it promoted to enter an email and password, how do I proceed from there ?

@emuboy you cannot proceed from there.
Trotec have assumed that the administrator is always on hand to add new user accounts.
I am going in today, so if you give me your email address I’ll make you an account.

Can we just create a shared account?

The idea (eventually) is that users will have access rights to their own materials.
At the moment, everyone has access to everything.
However, a shared account would mean that everyone adds jobs to a single profile, and anyone can delete other people’s jobs - only an issue for those people who save and repeat jobs.

I’ll discuss this with the other techs.

2 Likes

I understand the feeling behind it but I ended up have to use Job Control yesterday, not a big deal but I was looking forward to learn Ruby a bit more…

Is there a way to work on Ruby at home on your own machine to then come in and open the file into my the SLMS Ruby server? A bit like Vcarve where I can get most work done prior to actually running it on the CNC?

1 Like

There is a complicated way to get Ruby running at home.
However, the job setup in Ruby is so basic that there is limited value in doing it at home, it would be very hard to transfer all of the changes to your job onto the laser PC at the space, and you would probably end up changing the settings to better suit the file and materials anyway.

Most jobs take less than a few minutes to set up on Ruby.

1 Like

sounds like the RA for running something remotely would be complicated, what if someone start the laser ?

1 Like

You cannot start the laser from home, plus we have tool control.

Oh, that’s true, forgot about it

“Remote” Ruby has no ability to start the laser.

1 Like

I had some problems today using Tool Control… I kept getting ‘printer error’ messages.
I thought I’d try to use Ruby, but ran into the same problem creating an account… asking for serial number…
Does an admin need to create an account for me?
Thanks,
:Dan

Ruby is (somewhat) weird.

You cannot install the software on your own laptop.
You can load the software in the web browser on the Laser PC connected to the Trotec laser.
Once loaded on that PC, you can connect to it from any other PC on the SLMS wifi network using a local URL.

There is no provision for creating your own user credentials.
Only an admin can do that for you.
They can only do it at the Laser PC!
The account registration requires your email address, which the laser techs don’t have access to (you’ll need to give it to us when we set up the account).
You can send me your email address in a private message and I can create an account for you when I am next there.