A Purple Plate!

A new challenge in my short turning career; turning a plate from a thin blank.

I picked up this thin (~3.75cm) purpleheart blank in order to try turning something thinner than a usual bowl.

This required attaching a wasteblock from the scrap wood bin so that I could turn in a mortise for the chuck to fit into. I did a poor job centering the wasteblock, which meant a long, slow start bringing the blank into round and approximately 1cm of diameter lost as a result.

I chose a mortise over a tenon thinking primarily about the profile of the would be plate/dish, and I liked the idea of a clean and flush foot.

In practice however a mortise has a considerable impact on the thickness, as you have to have the thickness on the bottom to create the mortise walls but you cannot make a dish like this very thin as you will cut through the mortise and make a hole in the center of your piece. I hadn’t taken into account in my envisioning, and had I to do it over again I would make a tenon for certain.

I spent a good deal of time practicing my pull-cuts as I shaped the outside of the bowl, which was extremely effective in creating the shape i wanted with excellent control. The cuts we clean and smooth and minimized the tear out on the outside of the bowl to a point where sanding was able to clean it up.

However I would learn the hard way about how prone to chunky tear out along the grain purplehear wood can be. The dish originally has a much more raised lip, but a minor catch created a 5mm chunky tear out in the rim which forced a radical reduction if the lip.

In the end the dish came out very nicely, and while hard to captures, the purple grain has a wonderful chatoyance, catching the light nicely when rotated.

A quick video of the chatoyance! - pic.twitter.com/t7CT21lKlN

13 Likes

Very cool

1 Like

Thanks Joe. It’s definitely not one of the more exciting ones I’ve made, but it was a good learning experience.

Mainly I learned that purpleheart is a sonofbitch to turn! :wink:

1 Like

Lovely bit of wood that and a very impressive plate. Great to see how it turned out (pun totally intended).

Did you get to turn the oak too, or is that for another day?

1 Like

That other blank I have is a Zabrano, but i did not turn it yesterday. I have the wasteblock on it, but after the very poor job i did of centering the wasteblock on the Purpleheart I suspect that I will have to remount it with a new method so I don’t waste so much of the wood bringing it down to round.

I think i’ll turn that one tomorrow. But I also have a spalted beech blank that looks really exciting… so i’m torn! :wink:

1 Like

Nice. Chatoyance is my new word for the day.

1 Like

Uber cool! That wood is amazing…never knew there ecosyed a purple wood. Brt Prince used it a lot at Paisley Park.

Is the waste piece glued to the purpleheart?

1 Like

Yes, I glued the wood down to the blank as I was only sink in the screws in 1cm so as not to waste too much wood removing the screw holes.

The blank was fairly light, so the glue might have been overkill, but I figured better safe than sorry.

I removed the waste block with a chisel leaving only a small amount g splintered wood that was easily turned off when bringing the face flat.