25 of January , electronics night!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa496dc2228>

After a period of quiet we finally restart the most electronics centered night of the Makerspace (and the only one…) , join us tonight for the Electronics night.

I will modify my 2007 Microsoft Xbox tonight,you?

1 Like

@courty any chance of reflow oven/solder paste pump induction sometime in the near future? I have a couple of boards and getting the BOM together.

you about tonight ?

Courty

You have a air supply the the roof of the workshop

1 Like

Perfect, Many Thanks !

Courty

You should be able to get through the wall in the corner of the arch

You have got my number if I am not there

I was thinking whenever you have the time in the next couple of weeks once I have all the parts ?

I have to go to France for most of next week but will be available after that. Give me a shout once you’re ready to go and we’ll agree time for a SMD session !

Courty

1 Like

@courty - A SMD reflow oven/solder paste pump induction session would be amazing!

I am designing a replacement board for this one (with some added features & upgrades!)

There is a hard constraint on where the switches and LEDs go and I cannot get a thru hole ATMEGA328 to fit, initially thought SMD components are out of reach but seems it is not too bad, especially with SLMS tools/expertise!

Let me know when would work and maybe we can do a few people at once!?
Cheers!

hand solder an mega32 smd is not impossible anyway :wink:

2 Likes

Agree, ATMEGA328 TQFP was one of the first chips I hand soldered :slight_smile: Just as long as you’re forgiving with your PCB layout (go for nice long straight traces off the chip) you should be fine!

In fact, here’s a handy tutorial
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/96

The reflow oven is the way to go it seems, especially if you want to make a few boards…

Looking much better, man SMD components are so much smaller!! Even the large sized ones… Working on the prototype for this thing, will try to bring it and the board design by an upcoming electronics night for some feedback from other members that have done this more before! Cheers!

You can totally hand solder those - 0805/1206 components and TQFP are easily doable. I would suggest making the traces coming out of your chip longer and straighter though.

The area just below the chip where R11 is is looking a bit hairy - those tracks are really close together, coming out from the corner of the chip.

Also if you can avoid it vias underneath components is generally not ideal!

Cool cool, thanks for the feedback! First board-, don’t want to screw it up :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a ground plane on the back side, so I stole that GND via idea from the Arduino UNO design - figured if they were doing it it must be OK…! Although they seem to be using a different package version of the ATMEGA328 that has a pad underneath it… thoughts?

Cheers,
Andy

I had assumed the back had a ground plane :slight_smile: you might consider having a ground plane on both sides !

I think they use a QFN which has a ground pad underneath it - you can’t hand solder those, you’d need to reflow it very carefully !