Who is interested in forming a woodworking group?

Is anyone interested in starting a woodworking group? Monday’s are still free :smile: This is just a thread to see who is interested, but if there are a few of us there are still some logistical issues to sort out because much of the back space is being cleared for phase 2 works. Also some of the larger tools need risk assessments.

I’ve been wanting to make a small Moroccan side table (similar to these: http://sidetables-uk.com/item/hand-painted-octagonal-table) for a while. What things are you all hoping to make?

Sarah

I only just joined, so don’t yet know how using the space will fit into my plans/schedule, but I could be interested, as I mainly joined in order to make things in wood.

I mainly joined to make items in wood so would want to be be part of this.

This is great :smile: This kind of thing really needs a group as it is dangerous(and forbidden) to do lone working where powertools are involved. If there are lots of people there could be two different sessions a week.

I’ll be interested too! However my availability going to be limited for at least the next 6 month.

A woodworking group could help to inform the set up of the dusty workshop to plan good workflow; plus suggest machinery that would useful to buy (eg planer, thicknesser, sanders etc).

Exactly the sort of member-led organising we like to see :thumbsup:

Yeah thats true, although the group would also have to look at getting to tools also, by running pledge drives, seeking funding, or donations because Makerspace doesn’t have a surplus that could fit out a workshop…

Yet :slight_smile:

I’m curious to know what fundraising members have undertaken thus far? Perhaps that’s how you came by many of your other tools. If there is an open evening on Wednesday 26th I will come and find out more about it all.

A mix of donations, sponsorship and pledges.

The pillar drill was loaned by Dermot
The Hitachi power tools were donated by Hitachi (thanks to Tom L’s excellent blagging skills).
The bandsaw was 1/2 funded by pledge drive, with matched funding from SLMS central account.

I’d love to join a woodworking group. Looking to build a sleeper couch. I have some tools that aren’t seeing much use so would be willing to let the makerspace use them.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not against the idea of Makerspace contributing some money, but as we currently have very little, I don’t see that being any time soon, and as there is a growing demand for a workshop now other action such as pledges and such need to be considered.

Serious consideration will have to wait till the phase 2 construction is finished, so we can reappraise the funding situation then.

Yes, but regardless, with only at most £1,200 surplus in the bank at any one time, there isn’t the money.

We have a small budget from GLA for some hand tools

I’ll be very very glad to join a woodworking group! I’m planning to build my own bass guitar! :slight_smile:

Really interested in joining too !

Sign me up as well, though my availability is very limited for the next few weeks/months/years/decades (not quite sure how these children things work yet).

Is anyone up for meeting up next Monday 24th Aug? There is some space in the back to do some woodworking provided we are flexible around the Phase 2 construction schedule. Initially we will be using hand tools only but on Monday we can discuss what tools we are interested in using and try to get some risk assessments done for them.