The great Snug clear-out of January 2018

@members the time has come to reclaim the now-aptly-titled Snug.

The Plan
The plan is to empty the contents of the Snug into the Messy workshop – this of course will cause some disruption, meaning all activities except laser cutting will be on hold for a period, so we aim to get this done over the course of the Weekend of Jan 13th and 14th and the following week @metaltechs @silkscreentechs this will need your indulgence.

It will involve a process of sorting, cataloguing and getting rid of as much as we can. We’ll set up a Wiki page with images and descriptions of what we find and a range of options for members to act on, and we’re looking for suggestions of how to catalogue/track items from now on.

Your stuff
We know that there’s a fair number of stalled/abandoned members’ projects and other belongings, such as loaned items – we’re going to be asking everyone to claim and collect stuff as soon as possible: you don’t have to wait till the weekend! If you’re in mid project and have a current Storage Request than you will not be required to remove your materials, but you might not find them where you left them. If you’re out of the country or have other mitigating circumstances, you’ll be given leeway.

Your stuff is at risk of being removed from the space if you don’t claim it, especially if we’re unable to identify it.

Calling all techs!
We’re asking all the tech areas to make a case for anything they want to have stored in future, but we want anything stored in the Snug to really justify its value to the Makerspace – any spare space in the Snug can potentially be put to expanding our activities…welding and full-bed CNC have been in the air for a long time now*.

Then what?
With a clear Snug we should pause and plan how and where to better store members’ projects and essential Makerspace property: more shelving?– is there a typical project size to base this around? Bays for timbers/sheets etc to stand up?

We plan to keep project storage going, but will have a more rigorous approach to length of storage to make best use of limited space – and a friendly prompt can sometimes help us get a stalled project going again.

More details?
That’s the heads up – more to follow about the nuts and bolts of it all in the next few days.

That asterisk
*future use of the Snug for any purposes depends on solving issues around fire safety, and consensus among members about renovating the structure – essential if we’re carrying out noisy activities out of hours – and what future activities we support in there.

Important note
From past experience ‘one person’s junk is another’s treasure’. We’re taking a robust stand to our innate talent for hoarding, but in the past this has gone too far – valuable items have been discarded and we’ve had to pay to replace them. So as much as possible check on Discourse before discarding anything that could conceivably have a use for someone. This doesn’t mean we’ll keep it of course, but it’s a safety net.

Some of the long-standing members can be called upon to help identify stuff from the murky past. We’ll make a list to consult, but @tomnewsom @unknowndomain and me @Dermot are a good starting place.

Original thread here

5 Likes

I will take the plaster bord when I can get to it

1 Like

Awesome.

Can I just clarify a few things?

We take items out of the snug. If there is a name on it and the storage request is in date, we’ll stash it somewhere safe and return it to a designated area of the snug once we’ve got it clear. A message then goes out advising where to find stored items.

If there’s a name on it and the date has expired, one of us can @ them on the wiki/another designated post, asking them to collect/extend the storage request/advise on disposal. In the meantime we put it somewhere safe and await further instructions.

If there’s no name on it, but it looks valuable/useable, we add it to the wiki and wait for someone to claim it. If they don’t then it’s open season.

If it looks like rubbish and has no discernable use, we bin it somehow.

Does that all sound about right? If so, can we establish:

How long will we hold on to items with names on, but with outdated, or zero storage requests?
How long is a reasonable time to give people to shout up?
Do the directors have access to e-mail/mob tel no’s to send a message to them to ask them to log onto discourse?

How long are we retaining items that have no name on?
How long until we open them up for repurposing?
Where will we be keeping these for ‘viewing’ so others can claim them for a project?

2 Likes

I’ve had a request about moving it back a week to 20th January. I’m working out of town for the original planned dates, and it looks like some of the main enthusiasts aren’t available either.

All depends if there are enough hands willing to get stuck in, and when they’re available.

What do people think?

1 Like

I can do either.

If we can get at least 3-4 to make a start this Saturday, then great. At the very least we could reorganise the snug to make it easier the following weekend? Even dragging stuff out and stacking it better along with generally tidying up may be of benefit?

1 Like

20th afraid can’t do. Flying.

13th available all day bar couple of hours for a meeting in brockwell park gardens.

2 Likes

I can’t do either date but could do all day on the 27th.

I am working the 20th but I can come and give a hand this Saturday

1 Like

Cool. That’s 3 of us. Enough to make a start. I’ll be there from 9am.

Lets do all three saturdays?

13th … @DAC17 @Jackd @unknowndomain and I, +…
20th … @Dermot @iNerdier +…
27th … @SarahJ @naxxfish +…

In reality, its gonna more than one days work anyway.

on 13th we’ll clear out low hanging fruit , Jack’s kindly offered a recycling centre run. Perhaps original members could do a quick recce in snug and take phone pictures of what they know can go , sed them to us and we’ll take care of it. We can mark up other items and post pics on discourse on the day and folks will have till the 20th to take them away, put in a strong case for keeping, or we bin it for them if its recyclable and not too bulky.

on 20th same process is repeated and with original members on site.

27th is the final clear out…loose ends and rearranging what we remains in a space-saving setup…or start designing the setup if we need wall mounted shelving, ceiling hooks to hold long timber strips and plastic pipes etc etc

1 Like

My brain does’nt start work till 10am!

I don’t think it’s practical to photograph what can go or not but I can be there to help. I also think a lot more of it will need to stay than people are likely hoping.

1 Like

If you can make it on the 13th that be great

I can come on the 27th until about 1600 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll probably be working on something else with Joe for space infrastructure, but I’ll be about generally sure.

1 Like

I can come on the 20th to help Dermot I should imagine.

2 Likes

I will join when I can as well!

One thing to watch for, this floodlight (and regular light as well) were left on last night till like 3am when I found them… problem is the floodlight gets pretty hot so not good to leave unattended in my view…

3 Likes

@directors As this is a safety issue, I am more than happy with @joeatkin2’s help to install and wire up the following in the snug following the tidy up, if you’ll order them…

We can put them on motion timers we already have.

1x http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/389420932/
2x http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/387663924/

We can reuse these in Phase 3 if and when it happens, but wire it properly for now, with motion sensors and wiring we already have.

3 Likes

Good call Tom, since you can’t see the lights when the door is closed they frequently get left on… automation is a great fix vs. constant nagging and reminders for everyone…

1 Like