Signs for space

Ah! Gotcha. Back-lit white. Yes, would look good. If / when we make a sign for the outside of the actual space, this is totally what we should do.

Yes. I still like Miso or whatever that Architecture-esque font was, but was trying to stay with the new. As you note, the sign is a chunk taller doing it that way, which might tip into being too unstable? But perhaps that means it just has to be weighted down every time.

Dosis

Only issue is the hinge - The “reverse” side would be tilted backwards, or would clash with the other side.

Personally I think customisation is a complication too far. Anyone coming to one of our events will know it’s happpening in a makerspace. We’re not after passer-by traffic

I had thought about this. There might be something it in it. I think a board could be slid in the gap made by the hinge, and kept upright by a bit of engineering - mating with a cross piece used to bag it down, for instance.

It’s something that can and should come afterwards, if really wanted, anyway.

2 Likes

It’s hard to follow the thread.
Are we going black and white instead of red and white?
Do I stilll need to get paint?

We’ll find out: Joint project: new Makerspace signs from street

My suggestion, uses Makerspace’s aesthetic and logo.

Yep. It’s a good look.

One thought: is that wood treated? Is there a treatment that doesn’t darken the wood and lose the contrast? Can we treat something so i.e. sitting it in mud at a festival won’t forever taint it?

1 Like

That’s the sign that goes out on for events at the moment.

Osmo oil

I asked because to my experience that does darken it, right? And I’m dubious it provides the kind of wipe-shit-off protection a ground sign would want.

We’ve just had a vote on what design we want.
After a couple of redesigns.
Now we’re redisnging again.
Ignoring everyone’s input on the vote.

Yellow card.

I think it’s fine. It’s for out door use.

If you want you could color test a few different brands.

I’m not sure we are, I asked in the other thread if white meant wood or painted white, it would make more sense that it was wood like the old sign.

The design is the same, just asking about materials.

100% agree. Make a simple sign first and then jazz it up after…

At risk of upsetting the decision making, would a simple answer be to paint the whole thing in blackboard paint so it can be drawn on?

Nope, 'cos it’s not distinctive enough from a distance. I’d certainly thought about having a blackboard, think I mentioned that if canopy are replacing their signs we could appropriate for that.

But mainly, nothing has changed from this —

I’ve taken this sign. I’ll get a color match on it from b and q if its open tomorrow. Unless I here otherwise…

2 Likes

That’s just red spray paint.

Okay so not doing that then.

I found two tins of paint in the snug.
The are both called “signal”
One can with a date 2015 and other with date 2016.

Shall we get another one of these?

Or this:

1 Like