Rug tufting

Helllo all, I have a rug tufting project in mind and I need some help figuring out how to get started in the workshop. I know there are two frames available and I would probably need to use the smaller one but not sure if it’s in use at the moment. I probably only need it for a day. I also need to potentially use the CNC to draw my design on the canvas but I have not done the induction for that yet so was wondering if there is a projector that I could use instead? If anyone else has used the rug tufting gun before and knows the answers to these questions I would really appreciate your help, thanks!

There is a projector somewhere in the space. I’ve another one I could bring if that one can’t be used

Its behind the printer… can be used…

Thanks both! :slight_smile: I’m not sure how to be sure the frame will be free for when I book, last I saw it was but that was 2 weeks ago now.

I don’t think the frame is in the booking template, but just write something like this next to your name on the space booking to let people know you’re using it:

Textiles/3D Room
Textiles Area: @Cirine (tufting frame, 10:00 - 17:00)
3D Resin Printer:
3D Ultimaker 2+:
3D Bambu X1 Carbon:
3D Voron2.4:
Prusa mk3s:

2 Likes

Yea that makes sense :+1:

Hi Cirine,

I’m Loving this blending of CNC and Tufting! Could you tell us a bit more about the project? Do you have a design in mind for the CNC machine? @Federico @Christian @TracyD if this could be made to work it be an awesome showcase for the maker festival in May for the CNC and Textile areas?

I don’t know if I would call it blending, I just saw in the rug tufting chat here on discourse that people were talking about using the cnc machine to draw the outline of the rug on the canvas instead of using a projector and tracing it by hand. So it’s nothing too exciting I’m afraid :laughing: I’ve never used a cnc machine so not sure if there would be a way to blend it with rug tufting though

My interpretation of blending is using 2 or more things/tools to achieve an objective, in this case the huge CNC machine to draw your design. We do also have a projector but I think it be great fun to try the CNC version :smiley:

1 Like

I’m doing rug tufting for the first time so am planning on starting small, projector should be fine but if someone is around on Sunday who knows how to use the cnc machine then I’m definitely open to using that instead :grin:

Do you have a design you could send me at dorine.slms@gmail.com I could have a look at? We could try a mini version on the small CNC if you like?

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, i’ve sent it to you!

do you have a vector file version of that png?

I don’t right now but will find a way to convert it and send you tomorrow :+1:

1 Like

Hi! How are you thinking of using the CNC on textile? For what it’s worth, I think the projector will be easier and better :slight_smile:

Hi Amit, people were suggesting you can use the cnc with a marker to trace the outline of a rug design on canvas?

I sent you a vector version @Dorine

1 Like

ah, ok, yeah, that’s possible! :slight_smile: But you’d need an induction to the big cnc probably, unless your rug is very small. That means doing the CNC induction, doing some projects, then moving up to the big one. Might be easier to do the projector approach unless you want to do other CNC stuff in the future.

Was thinking of helping her do it on the little one first and then use it as my induction piece for the big CNC as an option

2 Likes

Definitely do-able - Low tech, but it works!

1 Like