Proposal: Induction Sub-system

This is a proposal for work to be undertaken on the membership system by myself and any others who want to help out to create a formal sub-system for dealing with inductions.

Purpose

The purpose of this sub-system would be to provide a easy to use wait for members to signup for inductions and waiting lists. The system will automate a lot of the work currently involved in inductions.

Members perspective

Members logging into the membership system will find a new tab for inductions, people will be able to view a list of topics, they can join an ordered waiting list for the induction, view details about what permissions this will grant them, who runs them, and when the last inductions were, how many people are waiting.

@role perspective

@roles will be able to login and create a new date against a induction topic which can be either first-come-first-served, or round-robin from the waiting list, depending on which mode is selected members will be offered a place by email which they can accept up to the capacity.

@roles can then check off people who attended granting them permissions automatically.

People who don’t turn up can cancel and the system will try to fill the place by emailing people with last minute cancellations.

This system will allow us to skip members who don’t accept their place within a given time frame, and remove people from the waiting list that regularly don’t respond to emails by accepting or declining an invite. Declining would automatically pass the place to the next person and confirm to us they’re still interested.

What next?

This is an idea i’ve mentioned a few times, however I’m keen to get started on this if members and @roles support it, I’m not sure it needs to go to a members meeting but it would be good to see what members feel about this change, especially @roles who would be involved in using this.

8 Likes

Fully support this idea. Would bring consistency to all the induction waiting lists and take a load off the inductors.

+1 from me, anything to help manage induction waiting list is welcome.

+1 from me too…

Sounds awesome.

Would current waiting list positions be transposed across?

Possibly if we felt that was necessary.

1 Like

Cool. Not an issue for me as such, just thinking some people may be put out if they’re demoted by the switch as opposed to having an actual reason to slide down the list (eg missing multiple inductions etc)

I’m sure you’ve got it all in hand though. Would offer to help, but my coding experience began and ended on a RM Nimbus in the early 90’s!

I would like to see what the @directors and @systems feel would constitute agreement to take this forward.

Sounds amazing Tom.
Great idea.
+1

+1

I’m a developer and keen to help. Would be great to get some information on the tech stack you are targeting and how you would like to collaborate.

2 Likes