Laser cutting group

Just to be clear, this is not an induction session, but a meetup for those who are already cleared to use the cutter. Watching and learning is encouraged, but a proper induction is required before being able to use it yourself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would everyone be ok with a 7pm start?

I would also suggest bringing along your laptop to work on a design, I think we have two PC at the space but quite slow for design purpose.

To start does anyone have any project suggestions? If not I will suggest using a simply ply material project. I can see if I have some various laser grade thickness. Otherwise it will be the the ply at the space. We can come up with our own designs testing cutting andetching and record the results caring the the speeds and power.

Also think it would be worth keeping projects small to medium.

Happy for alternative suggestion.

Cheers

2 Likes

@StudioNelle great work on getting this running. If we see how many people are keen from tonight’s meet up we can plan future sessions with preplanned ideas on topics/projects and also acquire any materials we need for the group. If you like I will generate a list of topics/ projects we can cover and members can list anything they think is missing.
Thoughts?

2 Likes

Sounds perfect!

7pm is great, thanks Chanelle.

1 Like

I can’t make tonight, but 7pm would work great for me from next Monday onwards (not sure I could make every week, though).

1 Like

I also can’t make it tonight

1 Like

I can’t make it tonight but happy to share what I’ve learned about the rotary attachment next week

1 Like

I can make it tonight but only later as I have little ones I like to see before they go to bed… I shall be there from 8:30ish to see what’s happening…

1 Like

Ok cool

see you at 7

1 Like

Quick question: What are the best programs to draw the designs for the laser cutter? Mac compatible :smiley:

I’m no expert but I’m guessing illustrator? @pip what do you use?

4 Likes

_

Look what we made.

Still need to do some tweaking but not too shabby.

We’ll be writing up a document that will include:

Default settings for various materials cutting and engraving.
Troubleshooting for common issues.
Project templates.

We will also be producing a wiki/google doc for members to upload their settings for successful projects produced at the space.

For those newly trained wanting to build confidence with the laser cutter you can come along to these sessions and test out our pre trialed default settings and project templates.

Cheers

8 Likes

I think this is great

1 Like

Affinity Designer is a modern take on Illustrator, and costs under £50.

Please try and use the #tools category for this. Create separate documents if need be. It’s important that we keep good track of where all our information is, and it’s hard to do that if it’s scattered across multiple websites.

1 Like

Just checking if we have anyone planning to join the laser cutting group this evening from 7pm. If not I won’t take the trip.

Thanks

@lasertechs could probably do with a new member, seeing as Pete and I don’t have a massive amount of free time, and we haven’t seen @david in the space for 6 months. Maybe the members of this session could (s)elect one of their own?

1 Like