3d printing advice

Hey,
I am going to 3d print tonight. I am extremely familiar with ultimaker, but I can see there are more 3d filament machines. Are 3d printing skills pretty much transferable?

Looking for a rough insight into main differences at preparing a file and sending it over.

Let me know!

The Bambu has its own slicer you need to use (bambu studio) and the multi-colour filament thingy needs extra induction but there isn’t a huge amount you need to know from a users perspective. You don’t need a full induction but a @3dtechs needs to walk you through the differences.

EDIT: needs, not can

Im going to pop by this evening and can give you a run down of the differences. Should be by about 6-6:30. in the mean time have a look through the too page for the Bambu. there is a link to their wiki on there too.

1 Like

What time will you be there until roughly? I have a thing between 7pm and 9:30pm… Id I don’t catch you I’ll crack on with the ultimaker.

I’ll only be passing through Im afraid. will be there for about an hour, two tops.

Ah, Ultimaker it is. I’ll read through the others just for curiosity, but kind of expecting it’s not THAT mind boggling!

We are retiring the Ultimaker, to be honest, it’s a good night as another to get yourself familiar with the bambulab, if you managed with the ultimaker you will find the new one very easy, no bed leveling, automatic filament loading, you can text me if you need any help, I can’t come over but I will be available…

1 Like

I am not sure if it needs a induction, but I think if you’re comfortable with the Ultimaker I think the skills are transferable.

My tips for the Bambo are:

1. Use Bambo Studio or Orca Slicer
  2. The bed has two sides a “Cool Plate” side and an “Engineering Plate” the slicer will help you know which one to use, but generally Cool plate for PLA and Engineering Plate for PETG.
  3. Dont use tools on the Bed/Plate.
  4. The AMS is pretty simple, if you can use a filament thats already loaded then you’re good to go. When you start the print it will ask which colour/material to use but only allow the correct material based on the slicer settings.
  5. Bed levelling is automatic, when you start the job it will do that and test patches for extrusion etc. It makes funny noises but its normal.
1 Like

I might be able to swing by in the next hour if that is any help? Going to work from home for the rest of the afternoon so will be coming past on my way home

@emuboy @scday94 the nozzle of ultimaker is gunked and I cannot read what diameter it is. Is it 0.1? 0.4?

1 Like

Cool. I saw the how thick the pla was coming out and guessed it’s 0.4

The machine is SO WELL MAINTAINED.

I remember using it some six years ago and man, what a hustle.

I think last time I looked it had over 10,000 hours of on time. might be wrong. not sure about the print time stat though.

2 Likes

Well, yeah. It’s slow.