Working in the MakerSpace

I have seen a few other spaces producing PPE that make it possible for more then one person the work in their space with necessary precautions.

Is it possible to create a negative pressure space in the workshop by turning on all the fans to suck out air? This is one of the methods used in hospitals to contain the spread and move particles away from people.

@joeatkin2 had some thoughts around this, but I don’t think he thought it feasible for us

While different tasks can be achieved in separate locations we’d like to jeep it solo working

The way round would likely be all people wearing respirators…but for the moment solo is safest

Could we run a booking system to facilitate solo working in each area…you book you hours and it’s only you working there? We allow say 15min transition time so you don’t cross paths

That’s already in place (see PPE booking)

Aim is an hour between, but 30min still represents a lot of air change

It’s worth looking again at whether we could have people in each area, but it seems you’d have to create the negative pressure/draw at the interface of each room

But suggestions welcome, as this will feed in to how we open up post lockdown: this will very likely revolve around booking, mask/respirator wearing and probably taking over some outdoor space as workshop temporarily…as this is likely to be a many-month situation it’s probably worth looking at the part our ventilation system can play in this (whereas large modifications probably not justified just for PPE production)

Do we know any HVAC engineers?

1 Like

Would using NHS ppe guidance be good enough for the space?

These are my thoughts as an anaesthetist based on what we go by at my hospital.

Negative pressure and full respirator (ffp3) is only required for aerosol generating procedures in hospital. These include intubation and non invasive ventilation which I hope we won’t be doing at the space.

The transmission risk at the Space will be droplets and deposits on surfaces. Wiping surfaces post use with detergent and frequent proper handwash on entering and leaving should help mitigate this. Large droplets only travel 2m through the air before falling to ground, hence the 6ft social distance rule. Lathe droplets are also caught in face coverings so if a mask of any kind is worn this will protect other people in the space. One person per room should be safe if this is followed. Obviously anyone displaying symptoms should stay at home and isolate.

Happy to provide documents that we use if helpful.

Best
Johan

5 Likes

Thank you for this

One concern is the possibility that normal breathing creates airborne aerosol that can linger and travel across a room and cause infection – not sure if there’s a firm evidence base around this, but there’s been some compelling work. However there’s also some indication that this would be mitigated by simple moouth/nose coverings

For the moment we’re erring on the side of extreme caution as we don’t want to increase for any members, but it feels like we’ve got the basis of a workable system that we can demonstrate safe working once the lockdown is eased