Woodworking bench

TLDR: I am making a workbench top. 1 layer of 30mm hard wood. Up to 3 layers of chipboard underneath. How many and how thick is ideal?

I am building a woodworking/work bench and try to find the best thickness for the bench top.

The measurements of the finished bench will be 1200x2000mm with the overhang being 150mm on each side to allow for clamping space.

I want it to be a nice solid and heavy bench.
So far the frame has been built from 2x4s and the legs are 4x4.

As it’s being built from used materials the top will be made up of 3 pieces of 30mm thick wood (oak, old pine and Walnut) underneath that will be layers of chipboard, screwed and glued together.

To add strength the layers are added in a lattice/criss-cross pattern.

I have the option of adding up to 3 layers of chipboard underneath making it a total of 4 layers 2 going width ways and 2 lengthways making the worktop about 110mm thick.

Do you think thicker is better or are 4 layers overkill and 2 layers and a thickness of 70mm is plenty.

TLDR: I am making a workbench top. 1 layer of 30mm hard wood. Up to 3 layers of chipboard underneath. How many and how thick is ideal?

3 Likes

I’d say 70mm is plenty if all nicely jointed and solid, any more at 2m x 1.2m and you’ll probably need a crane if you ever try to move it :rofl:

2 Likes

You may be interested in the Anarchist’s Workbench, which is available as a free PDF from Lost Art Press. Lots of bits in there and ideas for jigs etc. Steve’s right on thickness I think! Good luck with the rest of the build :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was finished on th day and it is a challenge to move it, but extremely sturdy.

2 Likes