Wood Workshop/ Table saw safety

Very interesting video from Stumpy Nubs on wood saw.

3 Likes

I have a table saw at home and haven’t used the one at the workshop yet but this video was very useful,. Thanks

To be fair that wasn’t as calamitous as some table saw videos, some of the stuff he said was correct some of the things he said are absolutely forbidden on our table saw.

Never use a sled or a Mitre gauge on our saw, we have a sliding Beam use that instead.

Our workshop table saw is simply never to be used by members without the Guard in place and correctly set.

The splitter is mandatory for all cuts in South London makerspace.

Fingers should always be 300mm away from the blade.

The table saw should always be isolated when retrieving a piece of wood from under the guard

We try and derive our safety rules from the HSE and I would not consider random videos on YouTube as reference material.

But after saying all that I would give him 5 out of 10

6 Likes

Is that a finger rating system Joe? :))

2 Likes

His first example, over confidence is absolutely spot on and why as soon as you hear the word “machine” spoken by Paul Sellers, you should ignore everything he says from that moment forward. He repeatedly denigrates machinery and he drones on about how it requires no skill to use machinery, one need only locate the on switch because any idiot can do it…oh hang on a minute that finger used to be attached to my hand. Machinery responds to the exact same approach used with hand tools there is no difference unless you are a dimwit. The only difference between hand tools and machinery is the time it will take to ruin your life. Every cut made on a machine should be planned, potential dangers thought through prior to the cut.
I have seen plenty of people operating machinery with the “ just getting away with it “ mentality too. The problem with this approach is that there is no margin for error at all, when it goes wrong, and it will, even if it takes twenty years for the day to arrive, it will arrive. Just getting away with it is situated one micron away from life changing injury.
Enjoy.

3 Likes