Wood workshop rant [Resolved amicably]

So tempted to do an all members rant here.

Yesterday evening I arrived in the workshop to find the following;

In no particular order

1. Electronics cabinet ( first it was dumped in the work shop and someone has used it as a bench! Hence the saw cut in it. Even worse this saw cut was made by the skill saw.) @electrotechs you should take some responsibility for this, the cabinet has been in the messy room for weeks now! It is currently under the 3D printer desk please move it soon under the electronics benches.

The fact that we actually have two benches and wood trestles for cutting things on is covered in the first induction.
Also in this induction it is mentioned that members are not permitted to use tools that you have not been inducted on and the skill saw is one of the most dangerous tools in the workshop

1. Glue with lid off ( this glue is not like pva, once the air gets to it , setting of the whole bottle happens quickly.) also mentioned in first induction!!

2. Tins of paint, varnish and general crap left on bench. … guess what? We mention about trying to leave the space tidier than you find it, we shouldn’t expect members to clear up someone else’s detritus before starting on their own projects

So just a reminder there is a wood workshop foundation induction.
please no usage of the workshop until you have been inducted.

5 Likes

Thank you for not using “at members”.

I’m not sure which annoys me more:

a: the state in which you have found the place and things.
b: the complete disregard of what everyone already knows - don’t go in there unless you’re inducted.
c: cutting through the cabinet and maybe not telling anyone it happened.
d: having been inducted and being so disrespectful.

1 Like

You gotta be kidding me.

We discussed with @pip that I was going to move it tonight, you are very right, the drawers are been around for ages , @joeatkin2 finish them last week and I didn’t had time to move them this week , sorry about that.

I don’t know why are been moved in the wood, thank you to move it in the 3D printing area @lewisss

@lewisss
I just logged on to discourse to own up, Mark, sorry it was me with the saw. I feel really awful that I messed your work up, I know how much effort you put into it. I thought I was being careful but obviously wasn’t careful enough.
Instead of clearing away the mess that was strewn all over both benches I took the easy option and used the “free bench”, I didn’t stop to think that the bench didn’t belong in there and that it wasn’t a wood working bench. Sorry.
Just let me know if I can put it right? maybe add and extra top or feature? Obviously I’ll owe you a few pints to make up for it too. Feel free to give me a bollocking when you see me next!

2 Likes

I’ve not read all this (rushing around atm) but for the record another silkscreener thought a lot of stuff in silkscreen area was wood stuff not knowing about the discussion I’d had with electronics, nor did mark know about this, so some miscommunication, was possibly a bit presumptive on the silkscreeners part :wink: I’m sure they didn’t mean upset

That mess sucks!!!
Put your stuff away after you finish!!!

1. Vacuum or sweep your dust when you are finished.
  2. Put tools back.
  3. Put paint varnish back where it belongs.

Hardwood inlay …

And I would like to point out that I made it if there’s bear on offer.

1 Like

@joeatkin2 if there is a bit of hardwood lying around the workshop and you give me a hand cutting it tonight I’d love to sample the beer they serve a couple of doors down as I’ve not had one yet. Will still buy you one Mark :slight_smile:

i’ll ride my bike down if beer is on the cards!

Haha we embrace mistakes … good chance to try wood inlays!

4 Likes

Cheers Mark, I’m up for trying inlays, might not feel like so much of a fool that way haha

1 Like

To cock it up is human, to recover with grace is an art…

Courty

3 Likes

Sorry haven’t read through it all - yes it was me I’m afraid. It had been sitting in the messy room for some time wasn’t aware of convos. Otherwise I would have moved to the electronics area.

It would be great if peoole could leave all areas especially the messy room clear as this regulary becomes s dumping ground. Wasn’t intending to upset anyone sorry @lewisss I guess my rant was a physical one.

1 Like

Much respect for your owning up. Thank you for being awesome.

3 Likes

thanks for your kind words :slight_smile:

1 Like