WiFi RGBW controller and driver

Does anyone have a recommendation for a driver and WiFi controller for a few metres of RGBW led strip? There’s seemingly a trillion controller options one could pair with a constant voltage supply, but I’m a bit wary of blindly buying a controller on amazon, in case of sudden unexpected explosion…

I was going to make one myself using some esp32 magic, but my desire to see the back of this project is greater than my want to do it from scratch.

1 Like

I use MiLight stuff just because it’s cheap and has an API if you want to talk directly to it.
Controller + Hub

It’s quite consumer, but it works. Old Milight stuff used TCP and was unreliable, the new stuff uses UDP and is rock solid. You can get it cheaper than above, but comes from china with 6 weeks shipping.

They make lots of different Controllers for the various LEDs you may have, ensure you select the right one for full control / compatibility.

Arilux lc-02

Stock firmware is a bit pants, but they’re just ESP8266 boards and you can easily reflash them, with something like this

And you can configure it to use MQTT instead :slight_smile:

thanks folks! both great recomendations - more tempted to go with the 8266 based one though - just because I’m only doing two runs - the milight (which I understand to be based on off-brand zigbee?) approach would be a great solution if I was doing more automation elsewhere :slight_smile: