Who wants to learn Inkscape?

I am putting together a series of courses for laser users, including one module on Inkscape.

Inkscape is a really useful tool for 2D design, much easier to use that CAD.
I use and teach it rather than Illustrator because it is free!

Inkscape is a general design tool, bit the course will focus on specific applications appropriate for the SLMS:

• Laser cutting
  • Vinyl cutting
  • Promotional media design work
  • Rug tufting
  • Screen printing

So, who would like to learn Inkscape, and what will you use it for?

Names here:

@petra - tuffting mostly, but if I can use it instead of Illustrator/affinity design and photo/Photoshop, then I’m a happy bunny
@greta
@Glennbo (laser cutting and maybe vinyl cutter)
@Karin (laser cutting and maybe vinyl cutter)
@TonyP (laser/vinyl)
@Martyn_Thomas - Laser and Embroidery (Currently use Affinty Designer then import into Inkscape at the last possible moment)
@Pau (laser/screenprinting)
@hugh2 laser cutting perhaps linked to making automata
@Nancy laser and embroidery :slight_smile:
@mpris laser and vinyl cutting
@matt laser and vinyl
@Mike_P laser cutting + vinyl
@Shannon laser cutting + vinyl, making precise curved shapes
@Fabia embroidery and screenprinting

2 Likes

I always give up using Inscape, happy to cross the bridge. I’m in!

And the embroidery machine!

2 Likes

Can’t work out how to edit your post to add my name, but me please! I’m patiently waiting to be inducted on the laser cutter, with the intention of making tiny little furniture for an inherited dolls house project…

1 Like

I have learnt Inkscape for myself by using it; if I can help at all feel free to send me any questions or requests.

Hi Graham

Would you be able to help me facilitate the course if the numbers grow? It is always useful to have a presenter and someone going around helping individuals. Not sure when this will be run, so for now it is more of an “in principle” question.

Added my name, I’d love to learn more about this :slight_smile:
Thanks
Nancy

In theory, though it depends when the course is.
I don’t tend to have much energy in the evenings to do much of anything these days, I’m afraid.

Added my name to the list :slight_smile:

Would be keen on learning this in conjunction with the laser cutter!

Is there an induction course that you need to be beforehand if you want to take part in the laser cutting sessions?

Hi Kieran

The laser induction covers the safety and practical aspects of using the laser. It doesn’t cover design tools.
You can do the induction and the inkscape course in any order.
You should add yourself to the laser induction waiting list.

Regards
Brendon

I am ready to run the course!
Now that we have more tables and chairs, we can fit more people, so I can probably accommodate 9 to 15 people.

I’m thinking of a Saturday afternoon, 2:00 - 5:00.
Would you prefer a Sunday afternoon?
Is there anyone who can’t do Saturday afternoons?

The course will be open to all members (you don’t need any previous inductions or experience).
I’m going to offer it on a obligatory donations basis (you have to donate something, but the amount is up to you).

6 Likes

Thanks Brendon! I’m flexible on days

The course is now available to book:

1 Like