Where can I get mdf cut to size? 25mm x 50mm

I’m about to have a crack at fitting some new mdf slatted shelving in our defunct airing cupboard at home as an inroad to getting a bit more hands on around the home.

Reading up online the plan is to knock together some slatted shelves and supports from 25mm thick mdf of about 50mm width.

Given the size of our place we don’t really have the room (nor I the tools) to be splitting giant sheets of mdf into battens/slats so I was wondering if anyone knew of a place (preferably close to morden where I live if possible or one that delivers) where

a) I could source the wood and have them rip it into manageable pieces for me (happy to pay per cut).

OR

b) I can buy pre-cut lengths from which I can trim to exact length with a mitre saw.

I’ve yet to measure the cupboard up properly so not sure entirely how much i need but wanted to make sure I wasn’t embarking on a fools errand before I begin if i can’t easily source the materials.

MDF is rubbish for shelves. It creeps under load and will bend horribly.

Better buy some 2x1, especially if you don’t have the ability to rip it yourself

would something like this be better then?

https://www.diy.com/departments/treated-sawn-timber-t-19mm-w-38mm-l-2400mm-pack-of-24/570388_BQ.prd

Better, but sawn has a rough finish, so you probably want planed. Something like this

https://www.diy.com/departments/smooth-planed-timber-t-18mm-w-34mm-l-2400mm-pack-of-16/570229_BQ.prd

Thought I’d return with an update, thanks to the kind advice of @RichM I was able to source some wood and with some procrastination and a healthy dose of taking my sweet time I was able to make and fit these two shelves over the course of two day armed with a drill, a b&d workmate, a mitre box and a handsaw and absolutely no room in the flat to operate.

original plan was 3 shelves but opted to make this our coat cupboard instead to free up another less suitable cupboard for alternative storage uses (so i get to make more shelves for that one too)

next step is to clean/paint the walls, stick a clothes rail under the top shelf to make it useable.

I’d also like to box in the pipework on the right side and under the bottom shelf but not sure how I’ll go about getting hold of suitable materials cut to size without some major hassle as I don’t have room/tools for that here.

2 Likes

Nice job!

Some DIY shops will cut sheet material to size for you, or a WoodTech might be kind enough to do it in the Makerspace

Spent a day putting together a frame out of battens to box out the pipework from the timber I had on had already I just needed something to cover it with.

After trying and failing on two separate occasions to get some sheet mdf cut at the giant B&Q in new malden and getting some frankly appalling service (waited over 20 minutes for someone to come to the desk after 4 tannoy calls before leaving).

Luckily there was a timber yard on the opposite side of the road (Champion Timber) and they could not have been more helpful. Guy did the (12+) cuts I needed while I waited and was in and out in under 20 minutes.

got home, stuck the panels on and finally have something resembling a useable cupboard now.

next day off I need to clean the walls down, then I can chuck a layer of primer/undercoat over everything and then paint it and start to think what to do with the next cupboard.

(the bit going up the wall isn’t fixed in place yet which is why it is leaning a little, will be attaching some angle brackets to stick it to the wall and keep it from falling over in a way it can easily be removed if need be)

pretty happy about the just adequate clearance around the big box my roccbox pizza oven is in, that’s literally the only place in the flat big enough for me to keep it.

2 Likes

I’ve sent my cutting lists to Whitten a few times and they’ve always been very quick about getting back to me with a (pretty reasonable) quote, and for quite small jobs (relatively) too.