Welding area in metal space

I would like to have curtains go right around the metal corner if this is ok?

I think this is a great idea. I have dropped a bag of about the same amount of curtains as currently hanging up in the space. But this wouldn’t be enough to thoroughly wrap round it all including screening the window.

@joeatkin2 you reckon fraser is likely to have the spare curtains soon? Otherwise @directors can we buy some?

We kind need to board up atleast halfway up the window as the lathe is right in front and will most likely end up smashed otherwise

Will ask him when I have a look as his tig

1 Like

Also if anyone has access to steel offcuts that would also be great as we will need more to run trainings.

I have two large steel sheets, got planz for hydroforming a hangggpan from one, happy for you to use the other, circa 600x500mm, could be cut into strips to practice welding two piece together.
Also will be a load more offcuts after cutting the circles for the pan. Feel tree to use these also, could probably get started on that project this week.

Also, I’ve a fair bit of mig welding experience - albeit three years ago… shouldn’t take me long to get my bearings - happy to lend a hand teaching etc.

Are we expecting flying metal? Giles from London Sculpture Workshop was suggesting a screen/shield, but attached and interlocking with the lathe

Well it’s certainly best to over prepare ourselves

Should always expect the unexpected!

I pointed this out to Joe recently and he similarly said that if we break the window we’ll be luck that someone isn’t dead and the cost of the window is nothing…

Point being this should be engineered with safety so this can’t happen, although it does raise a point that in hindsight, that the location of the lathe is probably not the best, however it is done now, so there it shall remain.

It would be good to consider about lubricant splashing as that has already happened and it is a pain to clean the glass.

1 Like

Main thing I’m reading here is a that a methodical risk assessment is needed.

The lathe needs to be interlocking screen. Simple.

We have done way more than that in the wood shop so it should not be a problem

1 Like