Veneer / Marquetry help

Does anyone know where I can buy a single sheet of veneer for doing marquetry? Need a light colour. Maybe Canadian maple or birch. Don’t really have time to order online, so would like to know of any shops that sell that sort of thing.

Also, any @lasertechs have an idea of the settings needed to do a small bit of marquetry work? Specifically I’m looking for a starting point to experiment with. I’m using oak and I think the depth of the engraving will need to be under 1mm, so any ideas as to the power & speed settings needed?

Also, I’ll be using the same file to cut out the veneer inserts. I’m assuming if I were to use the file at the same scale of the engraving, the kerf would mean the inserts would be a little too small to fit the recesses. How would I best negate this? Maybe enlarge the shape by 1% or something?

The only person I know of who’s successfully completed any marquetry is @smorgasbord, so if you’re reading this, would you be able to shed any light please?

Cheers.

Found a rather decent method for dealing with kerf here.

Still need to work out settings to carve out a .6mm pocket for the veneer to drop into.

Top shelf, above the lathe

1 Like

eBay!

Cheers. Can’t really wait for delivery. Only need a small amount too. Like an A5 size.

Phone up Whitten timber in Peckham?

1 Like

Roll of light veneer in workshop

1 Like

I saw veneer sheets at sl hardwoods, a phone call and they’ll tell what they have in stock.

Ask for Sahil and say you’re from SLMS…he’ll help you out.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies.

Due to time constraints we’re thinking of etching and colour-filling with milliput. Anyone used it on oak before? How easy is it to sand down and how receptive is it to being waxed/osmo’d over? @lewisss @joeatkin2?

Wouldn’t use milliput on wood, it will get in the grain and you will have a nightmare getting it out!

Thanks for the heads up. It’s looking increasingly like I’m gonna revert back to my original plan of making a plaque out of slate, routing out a recess and gluing that in flush. Would love to do the marquetry, but I’m having issues with making up the files. Might give it a go with a bit of scrap to see if I’ve got the measurements right, but I’m not holding my breath!