UV and water resistant printing

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a39651c8>

Hi folks, bit of advice please.
I want to print a rain water diverter, and some drain covers.
As PLA degrades, what material is allowable for me to print in SLMS?
thx
@Frazer

PETG was suggested to me when I asked previously for a more robust material compatible with the slms machine.

I happen to have bought a reel but have yet to use it.

I was told that you have to setup the machine specifically for PETG and reset it properly afterwards.

1 Like

thanks Robert, I guess 3d techs may chip in…

@3dtechs

Ok I will print it in PLA because of the purpose and mechanical constraint you won’t get much more from PETG.

What you want to achieve is a seal to protect the material, so using a lacquer or paint will be much better.

The longer answer:

All 3D printing material degrade when exposed to UV, some more or less but a simple coat of UV protective Spray or automotive paint will be more efficient and easier in my experience. There is some cheap great polyurethane lacquer or similar that would do the trick just fine.

As mentioned during the induction PLA is degradable but I never saw a piece of PLA to degrade sufficiently by leaving outside to the element. However I saw PLA compost in house composter so to degrade it need to be in favourable compostable environment.

However if you want to use an other material on the printer from the space you’ll need to know and do a few things.

Know:

• The printing temperature and the bed temperature
  • How to setup Cura material to use those settings

Do:

• Make sure to flush the material when you finished printing.

ps: should I call you “Neil” or “Frazer” P:-)

3 Likes

Frazer please Laurent!

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I was unaware of UV Protective Spray and (as long as its not too expensive) will go down that route as the project involves very little stress on the end product.
I am obliged for your assistance.
BR
Neil

1 Like