Upcoming directors election

I believe the deadline has now passed for applicants to become the next director.

I remember during one members meeting there was a mention of a ´hustings’ or q&a on zoom or live so each candidate could put forward their vision of moving the space forward prior to voting.

Has this been arranged yet?
It would be good to get an idea of who is standing prior to the ballot starting!

11 Likes

I was wondering if this could come through? There is too much space for people to muddy waters, I’d like to see who is the best candidate by them talking about the space from their own experience and proovable achievements. I have seen MANY directors coming through space as well as have been a contributing member for many years in terms of building Arch2, technician and inductor work as well as organising events until this spring and I would like new people to make informed decisions on voting to make the best use of the best people fit for the job (not just the status) as have seen tendencies in slms that some members try to pull and oh my, we need to know for sure who is pulling our legs and who’s doing the work)

(mind I am not a candidate, I am just aware of the diverse load of directorship and been here in active state for a long time…)

Are @directors those who should facilitate this or give permission to us to facilitate only?

I’m quite new here so I’m watching with interest. Accepting that I don’t know much about how the space has been run in the past it strikes me that SLMS is somewhat unusual in that it is a commercial organisation but also relies on community contributions of time and other resources.

I’d really like to see what experience the candidates have of running a commercial org and/or a volunteer org in the past as well as the volunteer contributions they have made to the space over recent years.

1 Like

Eventhough we are legally a business, we are non for profit (noone gets paid) and solely reliant on people volunteering+ for all positions in makerspace. As a director you have to be able to stick to what is your job and as we have a flat structure, we are also reliant on people knowing and being able to understand what is their job to do. I.e. directors make sure techs, accounts, handling of finances (and fair distribution of them based on member’s interests) outward communications, breaches and grievances are whether delegated or dealt with and working in the best interest to SLMS and it’s members .Techs,systems,moderators,inductors make decisions in their areas, and all of the areas are needing an input from members, but the executive decisions are made by the said roles. Basically! I understand welcome is a semi-independent group that needs to work with directors who can access data only visible to them to express what is needed to be done there.

• During lockdown there has been a call out for paid job in relation to Arch2 build for obvious reasons, but that was an agreed decision by members at the time without any disagreement in a very weird time, when we were paying rent for the arch noone could use and no volunteering meet ups could facilitate the amount of work needed to be done…

I am worrying that some fore-people I have seen during organised events are here more for impression than dealing with the real stuff and I hope it is undertandable to other members I can express this on this thread as I do believe it is very important specifically in this case…(i mean bossing without knowing how to do it right)

1 Like

Considering the late date, let’s assume this initiative won’t happen. Maybe we have a thread where candidates can post a 3-5 minute video that they film async?

Or a thread where candidates have some number of words, say 1000 characters, to write why they think they are right for the job?

1 Like

Meh, disappointing for me as there might be candidates who inflate anything they say and blow themselves to the level of the people with the correct experience. Would really like a q&a asap…

1 Like

Sounds like politics to me! :slight_smile:

Sorry, don’t mean to make light of the situation… uuum… maybe after people post their pitch the community can comment on the veracity of the claims?

if you dont mean to make light of situation, then dont and vice versa… also you obviously meant it, but saying you’re joking is exactly the type of discouse I dont like to have as not being able to tell if you can stand on what you say, conversation becomes vague and not worth the time.

… huh

Have the pitches been posted somewhere? Did I miss that?

1 Like

I understand the distaste for politics but I think the directors election is pretty much the definition of politics. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/politics

1 Like

I was asking myself the same thing, I believe nothing regarding the election has been done so far…