Turning trees into boards

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b6d6388> #<Tag:0x00007fa49b6d6248>

I got these a few years ago from a tree surgeon friend, with a view to using them for a carving project – one of them is lime, can’t remember about the others. They’ve been seasoning in my shed all this time and I’m now wondering about cutting them into boards instead. Do we have anything in the space which could do the job? The biggest one is about 350mm diameter by 350mm high.

I have done this on a a bandsaw with a similar sized cherry log but it’s a bit of a faff. You’d need to attach some wedged pieces or similar at least for the first cut through the centre to make it sit stable on the bandsaw table, and check there’s no embedded metal. I didn’t get great results from my cherry though, after stickering and seasoning for about 18 months there was quite a lot of skew on the boards!

Interesting, yes I was hoping for some method which would produce fairly regular boards. I could just have at it with a handsaw but apart from all the hard work i expect the results wouldn’t be too pretty. Thinking about it these have been sitting there for probably 4 years or more, so I’m hoping they won’t be too susceptible to warping.

I would cleave the logs in two halves, flatten the face and then put it through the bandsaw or axe a small flat face on one side of the log and then put it through the bandsaw. You would need the right blade. 3/4 inch 3tpi with a big gullet, hook or skip.

2 Likes

You would want to replace the missing guide on the bandsaw though before doing it. For re- sawing you could really f##k up the bandsaw if you do it with the guide missing. You would think it would have been done by a “wood tec” ha ha ha ha…it’s only been missing for a year though I am sure they are going to do it any day now, with all the urgency of a coiled sloth!

2 Likes

Should the bandsaw be out of order then?
@woodtechs

1 Like

I don’t know the answer to that question. I am coming tomorrow, I will make a guide, I can stay after I have done my personal project. I expect I could use the outer space, it’s only a bit of wood. We may need a specific size bolt, I will bring my callipers to measure if I can’t find anything suitable.

1 Like