Training for 3d Printer and Laser?

So - given the space is now open is it possible to get training on the Ultimaker and the Laser to be able to use them?

Thanks

Pete

3D Printer
In order to do this we need to develop an induction process. You will however need to provide your own materials.

Laser Cutter
The laser cutter is not functional right now although we’ve made some progress getting to a setting that works, there is still work to be done on:

• Risk Assessment
  • Decision about cost per minute
  • Induction

However while the machine is functional there are few issues around the mechanical aspects of the machine that we are trying to resolve.

What does an induction process consist of other than learning how to use the machine / health and safety?

P

Seems to me that the best way to write an induction process is to have a knowledgeable person teach a novice, while a third person takes notes. @gordonendersby’s proposed 3D printer meetup would be the ideal time and place?

1 Like

Yes. This worked well on the couple of tools @matt Press, @unknowndomain and I went through at the last place.

When we have inductions down pat we will film them so members have a resource they can return to if they’ve not used a tool for a few months

Would we have enough time and people at the open evening to meet n greet, do induction for 3d printing as well as a meet up of 3d printing members?

Maybe not have the 3d print meet up that night after all but do some inductions anyway.
And have a proper 3d printing meet up on a non open evening.

Or the other way round 3d print up and induction night not on open evening.

I really need to spend some time with the ultimaker2 as ive only ever had a rushed look at it and started it up. Not sure of all the features yet or whats needed for maintenance. I.e that loose belt at the front and checking the bed levelling and nozzle gap. I realise a lot of this should be automated by the machine but i cant believe that there are no checks that should be done on the machine.

Gordon

So long as there’s a separate person available for the meet’n’greets, it would be a good thing to have running.

I think it depends more on when a knowledgeable person is available, rather than trying to fit it into another event. Who are the knowledgeable people, and when are they available?

The 3D printer already has a risk assessment. You just need to extract the relevant points from it and then also add operating guidance and costs.

For example:

• Introducion
  • How the machine works
  • Key points on safe operation
  • What to do if there is a problem
  • What to do if you have an accident (burn/cut)
  • How to prepare files
  • How to load filament
  • Recap
  • Sign induction declaration

Need to know if we are running 3d printer and/or laser cutter inductions on 24th or just my original idea of a 3d printer meet up as part of the open evening.

If its just 3d printing meet up with open evening then i thought id see if i could get some more freebies again. Mention it to some local 3d print suppliers and maybe theyd mention it in there facetweet adverts. And see if that attracts a few visitors.

Otherwise id see if we can have a 3d printing meet up another night and do the same with suppliers.

its late, hope that made sense.

Gordon

I don’t think it is a good idea to mix an open evening with inductions they are not the right environment for learning safety. Also the laser cutter is out of action until I get more advice from Trotec on what to do about the loose parts.

@unknowndomain regarding the loose honeycombe cutting bed.
I just had a thought niggling at the back of my brain about the looseness of the bed.
I think there might have been slots under the noneycombe bed that locked over the rulers underneath. I dont think it moved when the engineer fitted the bed.

Im not at the arch till next week to check.
Next time youre there have a look at the underside of the removeable bed and see if there are slots cutout that lock over the rulers properly.

Gordon

Its the stainless steal bed thats loose, not the honeycombe.

Just as a follow up to this thread I have written a induction process here:

Thats excellent.
I was reading the operating manual earlier online.
Maybe we can link to some of the ultimaker documentation.

Gordon