Train/Bus departures board

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s not productive, it’s brilliant work.

I think the suggestion is that using that huge old TV for the display might not be best, while a dedicated LCD by the door would work really well.

+1
I think the whole thing is not very green.
And ultimately probably ignored.

Let’s put our effort in to making the space carbon neutral.

On that note, it turns out our existing electricity contract is already 95% renewable :sunglasses:

If only things where that straight forward :skull_and_crossbones:️:sunflower::skull_and_crossbones:

My take is DRY: Don’t repeat yourself. If we have multiple views of Makerspace stuff on one or more screens, each view should not reinvent the wheel or be a fiefdom to itself.

The remaining 5% is made from burning puppies and atomic bombs to balance out the do-good attitude of renewables?

Burning puppies has a net environmental gain. Burning atomic bombs is not to be recommended – think of burning a gas cylinder, then double it – anyway it would need an RA, plus a vote from the members.

Just putting it out there, I vote for burning any atomic material in the space. SLMS for nuclears!

1 Like

Sorry you’ve misunderstood I didn’t mean burning atomic bombs, but setting them off and capturing the energy like the Russian plan to get to space only in some kind of turbine to capture energy and use it to fulfil 5% of our energy demands.

Carbon neutral would be hard, unless we invented some kind of solar powered carbon capture device. Or planted a tree. Or, throw away all of the filthy electricity guzzling machines, and just sit in the cold dark, wet interior of a railway arch. That sounds much better, lets do that.

On the more serious side, the screen could only be on when someone is in the space (easily determined by the shutter status, when that comes online).

Are there people from the power company working on the electricity line to marshal those electrons whose energy was generated by renewable sources down our particular branch of the network?

1 Like

Given the entirety fungible nature of electrons, it’s entirely functionally equivalent.

Besides, it’s AC, so the electrons aren’t actually going anywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides which, there is actually only one electron anyway.

It’s a con anyway: those electrons never get to you…by which I mean the ‘flow of electrons’ is just a model of electricity – they’re not really streaming down the wires…

Stands back and waits to be corrected

A policeman stops an electron driving a car. “Are you aware you were doing 35mph in a 30 zone?” he asks.

“Great,” says the electron, “now I’m lost.”

1 Like

why reinvent the wheel tree? :slight_smile:

Here’s the latest.

We need to decide how many bus stops to show (currently, it’s anything in a 350m radius - possibly too many?).

FYI the logo isn’t quite right.

As for bus stops it would make sense rather than showing all the bus stops to show the nearest of all the buses, which is a lot more complicated but probably more useful, no one is going to get the 196 to Brixton from Herne Hill station when the Brockwell Park stop is closer for example.

What’s the reference implementation of the logo?

Yes, that’s really complicated :slight_smile: maybe something for the future…