Thursday 18 of Nov 2021, electronics night, Andy edition

What about diagnosing and fixing mains powered tools?

I will make put all the tools that I know need fixing together and leave them somewhere with a note what’s wrong with them.

1 Like

I have no jurisdiction over that.

Also I just changed the tips on the soldering irons…

1 Like

There is Ansis waiting for the electronics night already!

On my way!

Progress already!!

1 Like

Fixed thanks to Kyle!

3 Likes

Shiny!

2 Likes

Staple gun under the knife…

3 Likes

All fixed up, wiring fixed, and regreased thanks to Ansis!

3 Likes

Another Kyle fix!!!

2 Likes

Stapler is back!

2 Likes

Adam is a hero and fixed one of the nice power supplies! Had to swap transformers from another dead one…

Diagnosis is backfed current killed a protective diode and fried the transfomer… no charging batteries off these!!!

3 Likes

Thanks to Steve for fixing the stapler and the router!

This guy has been cleaned and is working ok- may need bearings in the future, but works fine for now…

2 Likes

Last one… big power strip is back… switch was fried:

1 Like

Final score:

Makers: 6
Power tools: 1

Glue sticks used: 33
Glue sticks used to fix anything: 0
(My kids… I ordered more!)

That Titan belt sander has a bad gearbox and is heading to the recycler for it’s sins… it was the only thing we didn’t fix and probably the least worth the effort anyways!

Thanks everyone who came!!

3 Likes

Darn, we forgot the cable drums! :joy: that for another day! Well done guys!

2 Likes

What was the problem with this in the end? (3doodler)

We tried to take this apart the other night to repair it, but I couldnt seem to budge the screws - I guess I hadn’t had my weetabix or something.

1 Like

Wow!

Excellent and productive evening…a spontaneous Restart Party!

If anyone is interested in fixing stuff with members of the public (a slightly different process as you often walk them through much of the fix) then consider signing up as a fixer with the Restart Project (I’m involved with regular events in Tooting, and we could consider these at SLMS, but we’d need to make a regular commitment)

1 Like

@electrotechs? Isn’t this a standard use of bench PSUs? Is there an extra protection or procedure that can be added to prevent this back current?